Elite v Select

Potrail2378

Hi all, I rekindled my childhood hobby a few years ago by buying the 'Mixed Freight' Digital Train Set. This was great because it had two loco's, and the Hornby Select unit. Since then I've acquired around 15 engines, many of which I have converted from DC.

I treated myself to a Hornby Elite, but I'm not sure if I'm missing a trick with it. When I turn the select off and back on again, the loco's seem to 'remember' which functions were on. Ie - if a loco had its cab lights on, then the Select was switched off and back on, the cab lights would come back on. However, the Elite doesn't 'remember' the functions.

Am I doing something wrong?

What does the on/off switch actually do?

Why do the knobs keep on rotating?

Thanks in advance.

Am I doing something wrong?
What does the on/off switch actually do?
Why do the knobs keep on rotating?
Thanks in advance.

1. Nothing. The Elite works differently from the Select.
  2. The on/off switch has a single special function that is only relevant to users of the Hornby R8245 Sapphire decoder [now obsolete]. It was used to switch on and off the fuel simulation feature of the decoder.
  3. The knobs are digital encoders and not potentiometers with a fixed travel. With digital encoders, if you turn the knob slowly the displayed speed scale [or navigation through menu options] is also slow. If you spin the knob briskly, then the speed of change you see on the display is increased as well.

With the Select you have to turn each function on and off. The screen shows this as you do it.

With the Elite you can either toggle the function or have it momentary according to how long you press the function number button. The Elite has small indicators at the bottom of the screen to show which functions are active.

If you get a patch cable you can use your Select (without it being separately powered) as a Walkabout controller to your Elite meaning you effectively have three throttles to hand.

A loco will remember the last command given.