R1023 Virgin Trains 125 train set

Deltech-1200248

Can anyone tell me if this came with nickel-steel track?

Looking at one on fleabay but the seller hadn't a clue what I was talking about when I asked.

The Model Rail Database says this set was first sold in 1999 if that's any help.

Just out of interest, when did Hornby start doing nickel-steel track in their sets?

ALSO, the M-R-D says this is fitted with Ringfield motor. Would it be possible to fit a DCC chip to this without changing the motor?

Thanks in advance.

According to this previous thread.

When did Nickel Silver track replace steel?

Nickle coated steel was phased out in 1997. As the R1073 was produced 1999 to 2005, then it would most likely have the later 'Nickle Silver' track.

Ringfield motors can be fitted with decoders, but there are different types of Ringfields and each have their own conversion challenges. it is also prudent to perform a DC Stall Test before fitting a decoder to ensure that the chosen decoder has the current capacity to supply the current required by the Ringfield.

These resources will help.

Brian Lambert's 'Stall Test' guide

Brian Lambert's Decoder Install Page

Scroll down the second linked page to the Ringfield section.

Service sheet 205C, downloadable via the Product Support section of the Support & Advice menu, shows the wiring on the power car chassis for both the screw-on brush arm Ringfield motor and the diode-controlled running light, and this will be the same for the running light feed in the dummy power car.

I bought one of these loco units when I wanted to fix my old 1980's HST (it was better value than buying a new armature). My one had a five pole ringfield motor in it, which is a much nicer motor, so I suspect this one has too, it is also a lot easier to convert to DCC. I also found that the current draw is such that you can use the HST TTS decoder.

Decoders come in two basic types. Decoders that just perform motor control [optionally with light functions] and decoders that do motor control and sound. You do not install a decoder for motor control and a second decoder for sound.

So it is a 1 stage process.

Thanks for that Chris.

Any recommendations on a sound decoder AND speaker?

Got the set yesterday and overall I am very pleased with it.

Based on the production run of this set, it is somewhere between 16-22 years old, yet absolutely immaculate. I'm told it was never used.

Initially the power car would stall when the power was reduced to 6.5v or less, but after running it in for a bit it will crawl along fairly smoothly as low as 1.4v.

Track looks clean but there is one section where the train "stutters", so I guess looks clean doesn't equal is clean?

Plus, when it stutters it also has a bit of wheelspin, so should I replace the traction tyres?

One other thing.... the headlights.... with this being a "red-nosed" HST, the whole front skirting glows red from the headlights (reminds me of putting my hand over a torch as a kid). Anything I can do about this?

Moderator message - Deltech, your post has been edited to remove the excessively large paragraph gaps between each line of your text. Please have a look at the post below for a TIP on writing post content:

Message for long standing forum members.

As I said in my earlier post, the Hornby TTS decoder works with this model. That will provide sound and DCC function. At the moment Hornby are out of stock, but eventually they will get stock as it is in their current catalogue.

https://images.app.goo.gl/qbvTz6REJS24aVD27

... showing motor bogie unclipped.

The light bleed through can be controlled by use of black paint inside the nose, but you should also consider converting the filament bulbs to LEDs especially if using a TTS sound decoder as the function outputs are limited to 100mA and they are not self protecting hence if you overload them they blow the decoder.

SS 205 shows the existing filament bulbs.

Regarding the rails and traction tyres, it would be beneficial to clean both with a lint-free cloth (do not use an abrasive) as new track has a thin protective film on it when new. Periodic cleaning of the rail surface and all wheel treads plus the backs of the driving cars' wheels where the electrical pick-ups make contact will be needed but it should not be necessary to change the traction tyres now unless they have obviously degraded in storage. Replacements come in pack X8461.

If you want to change the lights, I found the kit that someone does on EBay was really good. Initially I used red and white tower leds, which meant running wires between the chassis and body. The EBay kit was a small PCB with white and red lights that fitted on the chassis, meaning that the wiring could all be on the chassis. So when you lift the body off, the lights stay on the chassis.

Here is the link:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-HST-LED-Lighting-Upgrade-Kit-New-Version-Updated-Design/251999154032ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=554330132611&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Moderator message - above link doesn't work when copied and pasted - here is a tested working version of the link above - also made clickable.

Hornby HST LED Lighting Upgrade Kit, New Version, Updated Design.

• 2 weeks later...

I spoke to a retailer today about getting sound decoders for this pair of power cars, and he told me not to bother "because they're rubbish" (the R1023 set, not the decoders), and said I'd "be disappointed with the result"!!

I know the R1023 is old, but has anyone fitted Paxman sound to these, and what were the results?

Class 43 (Paxman) Soundscape with RealDrive - Mark's Trains