Flying Scotsman USA Tour DCC

Bradders1707822012

Anyone fancy a challenge!

I have a Hornby Flying Scotsman USA Tour 1969 (R2953) that says it is “DCC Ready” and indeed there is a 8 Pin socket in the Tender. The motor is in the main body and is connected by 4 wires (2 pickups and 2 motor). All works well in DC operation and the engine is a smooth runner.

I have purchased a Hornby R8106 TTS Sound Decoder Class A1/A3, but when I install and try to read the CV’s it throws a “short circuit” on my Hornby eLink.

I have tried the decoder in another 8 Pin locomotive and all works ok, so the decoder does not appear to be faulty.

I have tested the 2 wires to the motor by connecting a 9v battery to Pins 1 and 5 of the socket in the tender and the loco moves. I have also tested using a voltmeter from the track to the left and right pickup and again, power is getting from the track to Pins 4 and 8 of the socket in the tender?

Am I missing something, or does anyone have any ideas please? Many thanks.

Lift the decoder socket and visually inspect for solder tracking between connections where the wires are soldered on.

It is common to find stray wires or poor soldering bridging adjacent contacts. Clean them up by re-soldering or raking the gaps clear.

Check with your multi-meter there is no unwanted continuity between adjacent socket pins.

If all is well from your checks, then make sure when the decoder is plugged in it isn’t poking through too far and touching any metal parts. If so add insulating tape below the socket and ensure decoder is not touching metal.

Thanks RAF, I have now managed to clear the short circuit but alas it still cannot read the cv’s. I now get an error while reading and then it produces a pop up saying the decoder is not listed? Really strange as the decoder reads first time in other locos. Will keep trying but getting close to leaving this loco as DC.