Which decoder to fit?

GK1707821856

I’m new to model railways and as a start I have now bought a r2446 Duchess of Montrose DCC ready loco. I understand the correct TTS decoder is the R8117 but this is out of stock and Hornby aren’t saying when it will ever be available. Is there a similar TTS decoder I could fit or do I need to find one from a different manufacturer? Any advice would be appreciated.

I think the decoder is still listed in their 2021 catalogue, so I suspect that it should be available sometime this year. It happened with their class 47 decoder last year. You can buy a Zimo sound decoder or loksound one that will do the same, although the cost is about £100 compared to the £36 to £40 for a TTS decoder. I must admit though the more expensive ones do sound much better.

Just look for a TTS decoder that has the same number of cylinders and a similar whistle to yourDuchess. Many regions had the same whistle fitted to their locos.

All the rest of steam loco sounds are fairly generic.

Thanks for your responses.

I also have a Princess Alexandra Coronation class that I’d like to do the same to.

Whilst I’m sure other makes could give better sound etc this is dipping toes in the water time for me so there are definitely budget restrictions.

Thinking of what’s been said about number of cylinders, whistles etc; no doubt others know far more about this than me, so can anyone point me towards other TTS decoders that would suit.

I suggest that you do your own research to find a sound you like.

For example, this YouTube video demonstrates the 'out of stock' R8117 TTS sounds.

If you then identify which TTS decoders are actually available and in stock. Then search their specific Rxxxx numbers on YouTube. Then you can do a side by side comparison of the sounds.