Points changing on their own...

Buffer stop1707821971

Hi guys , some help would be gratefully accepted.

I am running a DCC layout with 20 cobalt ip digital turnouts , and electrofrog points . And I am in the process of fitting a control panel. But for some unknown reason one of my turnouts has decided to intermittently change direction. My first thought was a faulty motor , so I changed it .... but the new motor did exactly the same . Next I thought the wiring from the point motor to the panel was faulty, so I changed that .... problem still the same .. All that’s left is the turnout itself . Could that be the problem or have I missed something else ... The other points on my layout work fine.... If I had any hair I would certainly be pulling it out ....

Although you seem to be saying that you operate these via a panel. Inferring that although these are DCC point motors you are using them with analogue operation. Do they also connect as DCC to your DCC Controller as well?

If so what controller?

Again, if also configured for DCC use, then I would change the DCC address of the affected iP Digital in case it is receiving a spuriously generated DCC command for its current DCC address that it is interpreting as an operate command.

You say you have changed the wiring to the panel. But have you changed the switch on the panel. It might have an intermittent internal short circuit that is falsely triggering the iP Digital motor. If there is a panel fault, it is more likely to be in the switch than the wires.

If you respond saying that the iP Digital is also operated via DCC, then don't be surprised if this thread gets moved to the DCC forum section.

Thanks for your reply Chris. At the moment I am using the Prodigy Advance 2 and yes I use both DCC control and analogue switches ( old habits ).

I will change the switch and also connect my power cab to the system, not at the same time of course. As you say it may well be a glitch in either the prodigy or a spuriously interpreted command with its address.

Again my thanks.....Ray

• 11 months later...

@chrissaf

hi Chris, just an update; albeit almost 12 months old.

These random point moves were causing me many a headache..

After many point motor , wire , switch and even control system changes I went back to the beginning

and re read my many books on Dcc control .

it would appear that the solution was staring me in the face but I didn’t think it applied to my layout .

I had read on many occasions about bus wire filters, I should say “misread”.

As the point was only 10ft. Away from my control panel I did think I needed them … But of course it has nothing to do with the distance of the malfunctioning point from the control panel , but the overall length of the bus wires , which in my case is just under 50 feet. Needless to say I have fitted the capacitor and resistor across both ends of the bus wires and since then no phantom changes..

It just goes to show how easily misunderstanding what we read can back fire. ..

Again thanks for your input