Original Post by Sean relocated [Digital Class 08 overheating issue]

Guest Chrissaf

First time poster 'Sean' posted this text below on the end of an inappropriate existing thread. The text of his post has been moved here as a new dedicated 'Discussion Starter' thread.

I have recently dismantled my Class 08 shunter from a digital starter set as I was getting an awful tar-like smell off of it, it also wouldn't move an inch, I opened it up and took it apart and ran many tests with the thing, when I put my finger on the red part after a test it was hot! I am worried if my 08 is now a fire hazard! I would also get weird sounds if a certain connector to the wheels wasn't in right. I should also let you know that this model was sitting in a cold dry attic for years, as I've only recently got back into the hobby. So any of your know what is wrong with my model and how I can fix it?

Not sure what the ‘red part’ is. Maybe you could attempt to post a picture of it.

It sounds like it may be a capacitor or choke in which case it can safely be removed.

Capacitors are connected in parallel so can simply be snipped out, but chokes are in line and if removed can be replaced by a wire link.

Hence why we need a picture of what we are working with,