Select controller

beejay

Hi folks, i'm seriously considering buying the Mallard with TTS sound (R3395) but after reading the reviews, which were by and large complimentary, somebody mentioned that it wouldn't work with their 'Select' controller, which is what I use. Mine was upgraded by the factory a few years ago and comes up with '15' when first switched on. I'm still a novice at this digital stuff so please, no long winded technical answers if possible !! grinning Thanks.

Short simple yes / no answer.

15 means version 1.5 firmware. This firmware is fine for operating Hornby TTS decoders.

Long winded technical answer.

Version 1.5 firmware adds support for functions F0 to F28 which is what you need to play the TTS sounds.

If you were to upgrade to version 1.6 firmware, then you would also add the ability to write [but not read] CVs 1 to 255. This would include writing 8 to CV8 which is a decoder 'reset'. This is something you cannot do with your current version 1.5.

Your 'Select' not compatible comment [the misinformed blind leading the blind in this case**], arises from Selects with earlier than 1.5 firmwares having limited support for 'functions'. These early Selects could operate the motor but could not play all the available sounds.

Note** no disrespect intended to any visually impaired forum member.

No, not at all. It is a dig at the person who told beejay that the Select wasn't compatible with TTS decoders.

If you look at my post again I wrote and I quote:

"Your 'Select' not compatible comment [the misinformed blind leading the blind in this case**], arises.........."

As you can see, it was 'beejay's' comment I was responding to, where 'beejay' wrote and I quote:

"somebody mentioned that it wouldn't work with their 'Select' controller......."

My comments had nothing at all to do with what you wrote.