Long wait for pre-order. 2.5 years !

Kevin Hodges

• 2 weeks later...

I pre-ordered the Hornby J36 ROD when it was first announced and you could say I am still waiting!

On further enquiries last year I found that my order had been cancelled as I was told Hornby had started to limit the number of locos it would send to the Liverpool based seller. As a result I have not had the confidence to pre-order a new Hornby product from any supplier since. Instead I have pre-ordered equivalents (though not identical) coaches from another manufacturer instead but the waiting time seems just as bad.

Have a couple trains and train packs on pre-order for about six months now, I don’t mind waiting for those I guess, but I have a Hornby Elite controller on pre-order for about the same length of time, and I’m not controlling anything without that.

Hopefully I’ll get some good news in the new year.

It's a case of "OK Joe the mugs have ordered 805 of that model so we'll make 1000 instead of the 10,000 we thought we would sell" Then the shops get 1/5 of their orders and production gets put back because some rubbish item from the Steampunk range gets 900 preorders. In the meantime the pre production models of the 805 orders gets good reviews in the modelling press. The preorders increase to 8000 but production slots are chokka block with punkjunk and the classy real based loco gets put back 12 months.smile

ColinB - They are out there, but either second hand or crazy money.

I had a look around and thought I’ll just buy one as it’s a crucial component, but they are surprisingly rare right now. Almost all places are out of stock.

It’s because of the global chip shortage, so in Hornby’s defence, this one really is out of their hands.

I must admit I am surprised about the Elite. I suppose it could be that the IC manufacturers are concentrating on the more lucrative PC and automotive market ICs. The Elite I assume uses an old micro as in microprocessor terms it is an old product and I doubt Hornby buy thousands of the device.