8 flashes on my Select DCC controller

brad9753

What could be causing the controller to be flashing 8 times instead of the desired 7 when programming a train to a number?
At first, before some unrelated soldering, when the red light was flashing, the engine made noises and the lights on it flashed.

However the red light on the unit only flashed 4 times.. This time though the red light flashes 8 but the train does not react at all.

Then train (Pendolino) works fine on non DCC though.

If you have been unable to program the decoder, it should work on the default address of 3, or the last address you programmed it to (if you've programmed it previously). Does it work this way? If not, the decoder may be faulty.

No it does not work on the default. And I don't think it is the decoder. It is the same one used when it at least did flash and make a noise before. And I have also test another brand new decoder to check but the same happened.
Hmmm surly this hobby

isn't supposed to be this irritating right from the off :(

• 3 weeks later...
I got my Virgin Pendolino 4 car set off eBay arriving yesterday (Monday). Tested it on my test track all works fine. Problem is it won’t change address from 0003. When I tried to set it up using my Elite controller it flashes the red light 5 times then

I hear a click the red light flashes a further 4/5 times the address comes up but it’s still on 0003 NOT the new address. ???

Archived