Gears for Hornby Duchess R2782XS City of Sheffield

ColinB

Does anyone know what is the correct gearset for R2782XS Hornby Duchess City of Sheffield. I found the service sheet for the loco, which it lists as X8849, but it appears from Peters Spares that there are 4 types. The loco I am fixing for someone appears to have the wrong one, but I am not sure.

Despite RAF96's confidence, I have to admit to not knowing the answer. Until checking Peters Spares website, I was not aware of so many variations of the X8849 gearset pack. Checking later Service Sheets gives no clue as they still refer to just the X8849 pack number and the illustrations are not sufficiently detailed to draw any definite conclusion.

Lendons offer two X8849 packs, one with a 26 tooth idler gear and the other with a 21 tooth gear but make no reference to them being free or trapped.

I would suggest you contact Peters Spares to ask them which pack is the correct one for your particular loco. To assist others who may be in your position, it would be helpful if you could post the result of your search in due course.

Looking at where it fits I figured it was the locked sort so I ordered the X8849L Idler Gear (Locked) and the X8849L/13.8 Idler Gear (Locked) Set. The X8849L/13.8 intermediate gear is too small, so the normal X8849L (locked) is the right part although the intermediate axle is wrong, on this loco there is no step. As to the loco, the original gears were correct but very "chewed up", I would have liked to have changed the gear on the wheels but that only comes with the wheels which are "out of stock", so I cleaned it up with a small jewellers screwdriver. That coupled with the crankpin sticking out the back of the wheel and the pickups interfering with the wheels were the reason it didn't run smoothly. Having fixed all that I have now found there are issues with the motor. If I could get the worm drive off I would use one of my cheap Chinese motors.

I finally sorted this, I found that by replacing the wheels with a new set that the fault disappeared. It was obviously the gear on the centre axle that was at fault. I must admit I examined the gear closely but I couldn't see any major fault. The only thing I can think is as replacement wheels for this loco are not easy to get, someone glued the gear wheel back together when it spilt, causing a slight irregularity. Looking at the gear it does look like it has been glued but I need a better magnifying glass. The other thing that was more important was I replaced the wheels with the later set that I could get. I thought I would have to mess around with the bearings but they fitted perfectly.