Some wiring advice needed please [Siding as a PROG track].

geejbee

Hello

On my layout I have the main running tracks and have recently added a siding which doubles as a programming section. This becomes isolated from the main circuit when the points are switched and has its own power supply. At the moment, when I want to program, I have to disconnect the main circuit and connect up the programming track. This works ok but would be better if I could introduce some kind of toggle switch which would enable me to power the main line or siding at the flick of a switch. Would this be feasible, and if so, what kind of switch would I need.

Thanks for any suggestions.

A double pole, double throw [DPDT] with centre off position [ON/OFF/ON] toggle switch. Follow the link below to see a selection of switches.

Centre Off "DPDT Toggle"

But I wouldn't be giving you the best advice unless I also outlined the risks, so that you can make an informed choice. Personally, I wouldn't recommend using a siding as a programming track. the risk of damaging the programming output of your controller is very high because using a switch means that when you move the loco from the layout to the siding and if the switch is in the wrong position the wheels of the loco will bridge the track output of the controller to the programming output causing damage. A high degree of mental concentration is needed to ensure that the switch is only switched to the programming position once the loco is fully within the siding. Use the switch at your risk. The 'centre off' position of the switch, gives an element of fail safe - albeit small. The IRJs are critical to include as without them if the DPDT switch is in the PROG position, then the controller outputs would be connected together if the point is also put into the siding route as well. Every possible precaution should be taken to minimise the risk of controller damage. Some go even further and replace the IRJs with a totally isolated small section of track to increase the physical separation gap [means pushing the loco across the gap].

forum_image_607f5800d491f.png.7ed68fd7cd75bf04ecb90ac4728ef823.png

Hello, the method using a DPDT centre OFF Toggle switch is a method I have been using for many years without any problems, it has an advantage that if your setting up a multiple unit with more than one decoder they are all programmed as one, also no need to handle your locos being moved for programming. Just run them in and out of the siding.

The one thing I would say is Label the switch as to show which supply is powering the piece of track being used for programming. I use P (in red ) for programming & M ( in black) for main track supply plus OFF for no supply.

Many thanks for both of your replies.

Chrissaf, I am using a select controller which has only one output to power the track(s). Does this have a bearing on the way forward? Its begining to look a bit too risky when on the face of it seems relatively simple.

This is an example of why posters should include all relevant information in their original question.

It's not practicable to use the single output Select with a DPDT switch, you really need a controller with two separate outputs for track and programming when using a DPDT.

You could use a DPST [Double Pole Single Throw - On/Off] switch with a Select, but in a completely different wiring design, such that the switch in its 'Open' position just isolates the main track layout from the Select controller when programming tasks are being performed on the siding. Still keep the 'Insulated Rail Joiners' in the design to minimise the risk of inadvertently changing configurations of decoders still attached to the main layout.

Toggle Switch "DPST"

The Select also has the advantage that such an arrangement will be free of any potential damage risk as there is no 'PROG' output on the Select to damage.

forum_image_607fdf0b3be4f.png.2f4a9a0c14daf6560c087247984ca77d.png

Hi Chrissaf.

Sorry for not making it clear I am using the Select. It never occurred to me that other controllers had different connection posibilities.

Once again I am very grateful to you for your time and trouble. The second wiring diagram is clearly what I need to do.

Many thanks.

Grahame.

Not a major problem Grahame. I enjoy drawing. I now have both options added to my drawing repository to be called up if needed in the future [both drawings above were custom created for your specific question].

For information, it is more common for controllers to have a separate 'PROG' output so it is the Select that is bucking the trend with a single output.

If you have the space, by using a 4 pole double throw switch you can introduce an isolating section of track in between the live DCC power section and the programming section. I have used this on my layout with 100% success.

Follow this link to get the circuit diagram:

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/143258-fitting-programming-track-as-part-of-the-layout/