Connecting track on a folding baseboard.

Phil G N

Hi. Due to a change in where I can put my layout I need to move from a solid 8x4 baseboard to a folding one 2x4x4. Could someone offer me advice on the best way to join track on the folding baseboard, it is a 3 loop DCC layout so I need to connect 6 pieces of track at the fold, I thought I had seen somewhere that somebody was producing a dedicated joiner but I cannot recall who or where it was, but any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. Phil

I used kitchen cabinet hinges for my flap. These allow it to go to 96 degrees. Ones that go 180 are available.

To ensure the rails on both boards don't foul I put the hinge on the fixed base board on a piece of 12 mm plywood.

Once the boards are hinged lay them flat. You could use dowels to ensure alignment. I used cabinet ball fasteners.

With the boards flat on the floor, lay the track to your design.

Where it crosses the join in the boards, mark it. Now remove the track or tracks and then remove two sleepers from either side of the join.

Obtain some copper clad board (CCB). Cut pieces to fit between the sleepers each side of the gap left after removing the 4 sleepers. Mark and cut thru the copper on the CCB parallel to the rails and in the centre.

Now place the CCB under the track and solder the outside edge of the rails to the CCB. Do not solder on the inside as this may cause problems later with wheel flanges.

Now lay the track back on the base boards with the CCB spanning the join.

Fix the track down, I used pre-ballasted foam and pins.

Once satisfied, use a draw saw or Dremel to cut thru the rails and the CCB where they cross the join.

Pictures follow. Showing their CCB and the results on my layout.

forum_image_608459ea404b8.thumb.png.b5aed6c992f4bc7e3e4d800dd9ce0179.pngforum_image_608459ef8651c.thumb.png.eb2eafd8c498ad47e4aa4f08946f1fdd.pngforum_image_608459f4b1c44.thumb.png.16a6ad3c940b501f6550b762f79738fd.pngforum_image_608459f95afa1.thumb.png.60766d19ee79864fbcaeba6d7330c8f8.png