Running R1172, R1173 Elink sets.

new lad on block

Hi all, may have been asked before but cannot find.

If I buy second hand sets R1172 or R1173 both eLink, can I run them straight from the box once set up. Do I need any extra kit, or upgrades etc.

If I have a new never used version of both sets, will those needed to be updated, or extra kit?

Thankyou for your help and advice.

If second-hand. Then there is a high probability that the previous owner has previously installed and authenticated the RailMaster software license key. If that is the case, then the RailMaster software will not be able to authenticate a valid license.

Even if you install the RailMaster software in evaluation mode, this mode will cease to run after the 90 day evaluation period has elapsed. There is absolutely no way of getting round this. The HRMS license validity check is very robustly policed. It is believed that the Motherboard serial number of your PC is logged against the RailMaster license on the HRMS servers in both full install & evaluation mode installations. Therefore, uninstalling and re-installing RailMaster does not reset the 90 day evaluation timer because the MB serial number will come up as previously registered in the HRMS validation server database.

As you are a collector, if you perform a full install of previously 'unused' RailMaster software and authenticate the license, then be aware that the value of the set will be diminished as the RailMaster software will now have zero value to anybody else.

In all other respects, the eLink sets are boxed as complete sets with everything you need. The firmware on the eLink hardware is upgradable at home at zero cost.

The actual rolling stock and track in the sets, are the same whether controlled by eLink and RailMaster software or not, so should still function under the control of any suitable DCC controller.

As the eLink track interfaces can not function without the RailMaster software, then it could be argued that technically this query should have been posted in the RailMaster forum, but I am leaving it here as the link to RailMaster in your question as written is only tenuous.

Hi Chris, Thankyou for the quick reply, unfortunately my knowledge of DCC is zero. I did not know railmaster and elink were related.

To confirm, If I buy second hand,

I cannot use it on dcc. Possible to alter wiring and run locos on DC.

New unused, use straight from box, after computer set up.

Do I take it that if you upgrade your computer, then you cannot use it on the new computer.

I have new unused versions of both sets for the collection, but were looking at second hand to run, hence my query.

regards

To confirm, If I buy second hand,
I cannot use it on DCC.

You can with the supplied RailMaster if the software license has not previously been validated. A previous owner may have bought the set, but already had a different controller, so the RailMaster license was never used. Or you can buy a new license as a 'within software' purchase for about £80**. You can also use it of course with a different controller entirely.

Possible to alter wiring and run locos on DC.

Apart from some Hornby situations, new TTS fitted models for example, locos fitted with DCC decoders will run on DC out of the box, therefore re-wiring should not be necessary. When running a DCC decoder fitted loco on DC you might notice some 'start up' lag as the track voltage has to get to a certain level to power the decoder so that it can then recognise that it is being powered with DC and switch into DC control mode.

New unused, use straight from box, after computer set up.

Yes, you can use the set straight from the box.

Do I take it that if you upgrade your computer, then you cannot use it on the new computer.

PC upgrades are supported within the software license. However, for this to work you have to know the full details used on the form that was filled in when authenticating the license originally, such as name, address, email, license key number etc. In order to prevent the previous owner de-authorising the original installation and passing their original details to someone new to get round the license being non-transferable. The change of PC process requires that the same email address is used to authenticate the new replacement PC that was used to authenticate the original PC.

Note** just for clarity. RailMaster software is developed and maintained by a completely different software company to Hornby Hobbies, known in these forum pages as HRMS [previously known as Invicto Systems Ltd]. Therefore the within software license purchase price goes directly to HRMS and does not go to Hornby.

If you have new, unused sets as you say, you can use the licence key from one of these to install RM and run your second hand sets, in fact any DCC locos.

However, the set from which you use the key now has no licence for itself.

Hi fishmanoz, Thankyou for the extra information.Worth looking into either just using one set and run all elink locos with the one system.

Checking collection, R1184 also is a elink set. I think Hornby only made 3 elink sets.

Also available as a separate unit is R8312 elink package. At the moment cheaper than a new licence.