Signatrak woes

Des1707822314

I have recently purchased a Signatrak Ace DCC controller and most of my locos are fine with it. Just recently, 2 of my locos, have set off like a rocket even on very low throttle openings. This in spite of being "normal" when first used with the Signatrak.

What am I doing wrong?

Signatrak do not answer my repeated emails.

Based upon your descriptions, it sounds as if the decoder has got itself locked into DC enabled operation and won't come out of it. Now with DC support disabled it is not responding at all. I suggest factory resetting the decoder by writing a value of 8 to CV8. This will re-enable DC operation and also reset the DCC address to 03.

Then test first using the 03 address to see if DCC control has returned. If it has, then reinstate the DCC address you want to use.

If a CV8 'factory reset' does not restore DCC operation, then it looks like you might have to replace the decoder with a new one. But first, read on below.

Do you have any instances of transient short circuits. Brief shorts, when rolling stock traverses through points for example. These may be so brief that the controller doesn't trip. If you do, then it is a known fact that these transient shorts can corrupt a decoders configuration and in extreme cases damage a decoder permanently. Transient shorts create very high voltage spikes. The spikes can be suppressed by fitting a simple two component filter to your track called a 'snubber'. Ask if you want more information on 'Snubbers'.

Another thing you can check and confirm. How are you connecting the output of the controller to the track. If you are using the Hornby R8206 or R602 track connectors, these are not appropriate for DCC and corrupt DCC signals. The correct DCC track connectors are R8241 or R8242. If you are indeed using the R8206 or R602 track components, then report that back here and guidance on how to modify these for DCC operation can be given.

Some might suggest that there is no decoder fitted, but you said that it did previously work normally under DCC control, plus now there is no DC operation at all, there must have been a decoder fitted to accept the edit of the CV29 value. These two observations support a decoder being present.

I have got a loco recently purchased from a well known auction site. This was set to default, setting 3 by the previous owner. It runs fine. I have also set an existing loco to setting 3 and it runs ok. My grand plan is therefore to set, individually, each loco to setting 3, run it and then give it a new address.

Here's hoping

Can you read the dodgy loco(s) address or does it return XXX instead (i.e. not reading decoder).

It may take several goes to reset the decoder.

Does the loco react if you put a 9v battery across the pickup wheels. If so DC running is still enabled.

You could try unplugging the decoder, fitting a blanking plug and trying the battery test again to prove the motor and loco wiring is OK.

For any locos that are working on an assigned address rather than 03, the only reason I can see for testing them on 03 rather than their assigned address is if you reset the decoder to default (write 8 to CV8). Then you can test on 03 before going back to your desired address.

Usual practice is to test any new/reset loco on 03, then immediately change the address so that 03 is free for the next new loco without having multiple locos on 03.

Testing on 03 is no different to testing on any other address. There is no reason to change to 03 just to test.