Andy [Select vs Elite]

Andrew-818747

I am in the process of designing my new layout which will be basically 4 adjoining loops on an area 12 ft by 8 ft.

I'm looking to buy either the Elite or Select DCC controllers.

If I buy the Select along with an additional 4 amp transformer, will this be enough to power all four tracks and will I be able to have 4 or more trains running simultaneously. I must admit the price of the Elite does seem quite steep hence the alternative I am suggesting.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Andy, I have amended your topic title. When the post creation box asks you to input a title, it means the title of your question. Not your title i.e Andy.

In answer to your question:

The 4 amp power unit will be able to operate up to 10 modern locomotives simultaneously, more than enough for your four track loops.

You could start off with the Select supplied 1 amp power supply and see how you go, the 1 amp supply should in theory support up to four modern low power locomotives, but may struggle if the locos are a little older with more current hungry motors.

With regard the basic comparison of the Select vs Elite in terms of features and functions. This really depends upon what firmware revision the Select is. If it is a brand new purchase then it should in theory be at revision 16 or 20 as long as it has not been sitting on the retailers shelf as old new stock.

Version 16 or 20 firmware gives you a controller that competes very evenly with the Elite. The only thing the Select can't do is read CVs [Configuration Variables]. Firmware below 16 also dramatically restricts the available features and functionality of the Select as only 16 or 20 can write the value of CVs between 001 and 255. The Elite can read and write CVs up to 1,024. Writing CVs is an important function to have, thus the later Selects with the 16 & 20 firmware are very desirable.

If your purchased Select is second-hand and has firmware below 16, then it can be upgraded by Hornby for a one-off cost typically £15 plus your sending postage costs, for which a 'Returns Number' must be obtained from Hornby Customer Services. The firmware level of the Select appears very briefly on the LCD screen as the very first number to appear as the Select is being powered up and will be a number between 10 and 20.