Railroad Patriot

ColinB

Does anyone know if a R2633 "Planet" Patriot body will fit the Railroad chassis. I am assuming that the Railroad version must be more robustly made than the chassis on my one. Not only is the motor mount seriously wrong but they seem to have made most of the metal parts out of the equivalent of chewing gum. It is unusual, as on all my other Hornby locos the mechanism is first class, this one looks like they let someone new on it. I know that this chassis suffers from "metal rot" which I suspect is half the issue, but even ignoring that, the motor mounting and retaining bracket are not really that good.

Looking at the Service Sheets 307 and 386, I would say they are interchangeable apart from the body/chassis fixing points, particularly at the front where the Railroad chassis has a lug whereas the main-range loco appears to be screwed.

Thank you for the information. I think I might have found a couple of spare chassis on EBay, so hopefully they might work. I am beginning to understand why it was designed it such a way, I think it is because it is a narrow body so the motor has to be at an angle to miss the wheels.