Hornby DCC Select Controller and Rail Master

Desh

Hello Members need help

Can anyone please advise if the Hornby dcc select controller can be used with the Rail Master Software. I tried to connect the controller through an usb to RJ11 cable but the controller does not get recognised.

The support for the Select is still written into the RailMaster software. But Hornby in their wisdom cancelled the 'Select-a-Link' cable needed to make the physical connection work. I doubt that any generic USB - RJ11 will work as the Select-a-Link cable was an active cable with possibly custom Hornby firmware on it to provide the necessary protocol conversion [see XpressNet comment further below].

If you can make it work, there will be loads of members on here who will be keen to hear about a working solution and the exact cable products used.

The RJ11 port on the Select functions as an XpressNet port and not LocoNet so you will need a cable that supports the XpressNet protocol. Another factor to consider is the firmware revision of the Select. If I recall correctly, the Select needed to be at revision 1.5 or higher to work with the planned Hornby 'Select-a-Link' cable. So if your Select is below firmware 1.5, then it probably has a zero chance of working. Selects can be returned to Hornby to have their firmware updated for a small charge [typically £15].

I remember when testing Select-a-Link adapter cable that RM was only written to cater for the older Select (despite needing the newer firmware to work). This caused flags to be raised telling that the controller was limited in its operational capacity.

What I cannot remember without hooking the test cable up again is if RM was updated to correct these flags and give full functional control before the plug was pulled on the adapter cable.

This picture shows that it did indeed work and in my opinion would have been a good product allowing the many Select owners to get into RM.

As Chris says it is not just a simple dumb adapter as can be seen.

forum_image_60a2a04609ff4.thumb.png.933c8c6db14ae92174c42e36ea4fdb27.png