Hornby decoder compatibility

AceinOz

I am looking for a clear answer to this question. Is the Hornby R8249 dcc decoder, and TTS decoder, compatible with non-Hornby dcc control systems (i.e NCE)? I have seen myriad comments but nothing clear and concise. If I buy R8249 decoders, am I stuck using the Hornby select or Elite control system?

Not sure there is a clear answer but the general rule is: all gear that is NMRA compliant is compatible with all other gear that is NMRA compliant, that being the purpose of the NMRA DCC standard in the first place.

Starting at the Hornby end, its decoders, 8249 and TTS, are known to be compliant, as are its controllers. Then the question is, are other manufacturers’ controllers compliant? The answer is generally yes, however there may be some exceptions at the cheaper end of the scale with some entry level controllers. You would need to make enquiries with specific brands and models to be sure.

Hornby tests its own kit (decoders and controllers) against other manufacturers kit to ensure compatibility as far as possible. It is obviously impractical to have one of everything on hand for testing but if you look in Railmaster you can get some idea of the loco decoders and accessory decoders that are supported.

I would avoid shop branded decoders as these are bought in relabels of what knows what. At least with well known brand name decoders you know their reputation.

A lot of the urban myth about Hornby kit springs from early days when the old R8215 decoders were unreliable and before the Select was updated.

Thanks Jane2. The views on this and other forums in regard to Hornby decoders ranges from absolute hate of anything Hornby to “it will be fine”. As such, its a bit confusing. I have no trouble with the R8246 decoders in most of my locos (which are mostly Hornby) and tried my first TTS sound decoder today, which was great. And I have a Hornby Select which has worked fine - except for limited mobility.

I can only comment on my experience, I use either Hornby Elite or a Fleishmann Two track controller (for my main layout). Most of the decoders work fine, it is when you have to program them that issues arise. From my experience Hornby decoders (TTS and normal) seem to be perfectly ok as are Zimo ones. I have a list of the ones that are not, generally they fail when trying to write the address, or they are not that reliable at doing it. Surprisingly the LaisDCC also seem to work perfectly well, seeing as they are very cheap. The only issue I have with these is their performance with intermittent DCC signals, but quite a lot of the others suffer from this as well.