TTS HST 43 Help needed

David Pullman

Looking for advice, have new HST On order due Autumn 2021

TTS Decoder shown is Valencia with 1 decoder and 1 round speaker at £69 (for that price I would expect 2 decoderS, also shown is a twin decoder R8210 with 2 oblong speakers, while I appreciate Valencia sound may be different it is odd that the speakers differ so much.

My question is the Valencia with round speaker (available on back order ) correct or is R8120 with square speakers correct , Hornby do not even mention back order for R8120 although I think Other retailers do ?

Hi David and welcome to the forum.

Valencia is a lovely city, in fact my wife is from there - and so are the Class 67s

But nothing from the HST is connected to Valencia but they have a Valenta engine.........

You would need to see which HST model you have ordered. If you have ordered a model of the Valenta powered units, then that's the TTS you would need. You can change the speakers if necessary. I think the other TTS HST set is the MTU engine sound. Google the HST you have ordered and see which engine the real one has.

R7140 is the Valenta engined TTS decoder for HST and R8120 is the MTU engined TTS decoder for HST.

They are both sold as a twin pack and as far as I know they are supplied with the oblong speaker. The =£70 price tells you if it is a twin pack or not.

If they are being sold as singles then I suspect they have been ripped from a factory fit loco. Check the packaging which should be the twin pack box and the user manual should be a proper printout not an obvious photocopy.

As Hornby at the moment have run out of stock, I have seen some disreputable people on EBay selling the single packs for the same price as a dual one. I am pretty sure my MTU one came with round speakers, the only one I have seen at the moment with rectangular speakers is the class 66. Hornby though may have changed the specification since I bought mine.