Walkabout Error

Junglehouse

Hi Everyone,

I've recently bought 3 Hornby Select controllers so that each of my three children can use one and I can use the Elite. An article in a previous issue of Hornby Magazine was very helpful in explaing how to link the Select controllers

to the Elite so I went to buy three leads from Hornby. I was presented with two, the first one said "RJ12 Select/Elite to Walkabout Select Lead" and the other directly underneath the first said "Hornby DCC RJ12 3m Lead". I assumed that they were both the same

lead except one was 3 metres in lenght so I bought three of these thinking the extra length would be useful. They arrived very quickly and I rigged everything up. But every time I try to select a loco from any of the select controllers I get a "CE" error.

At first I thought it could be caused by the locos having extended addresses but having read some previous posts it looks like the 3m cable is for the booster and not for use with the Walkabout controllers.

So can someone just confirm that the three

R8236 leads I bought are useless with the Walkabout Controllers and that is the reason the controllers are not working. Or is it because my locos have extended addresses and I have to change them to short addresses in order to use the walkabout controllers.

Regards,

Tim

Hornby Customer Care posted this a while ago.

R8236 - This is a standard RJ12 Cable with 3 twisted pairs in the standard RJ12 configuration with a 6 conductor connector. This cable is only used in conjunction with the Booster unit.

R8266

- This is actually an RJ11 Cable with 2 twisted pairs in a non standard configuration with a 4 conductor connector. This cable is only used in conjunction with the Walkabout unit.

**However they both use the same plug socket shell.

Archived