Wiring points for DCC and DC operation

Forum-1211528

Point motors are connected to their own electrical wiring for operation and not connected directly to the power feeding the track, therefore they are independent to what type of power is actually present on the track rails.

Is your question actually this question below:

My point motors are currently wired to [or planned to wire to] DCC Accessory Decoders and operated via DCC commands issued from my DCC controller.

I would like to also have a choice to operate my point motors by traditional DC Analogue methods as well.

Is this possible and how can it be done?

If the above is actually the question you are asking then yes it can be done. But the 'how' part of the answer is very dependant upon what DCC componentry you are currently using or planning to use. For example, some non Hornby brands of Accessory Decoders have this 'Analogue' override capability built in to their design. The Hornby R8247 Accessory Decoder does not.

So if my deduced question is correct, then tell us what products you are currently using [or are planning to use if not yet purchased] to operate your points and confirm the point motor type and brand you are using as well.

GM PM1 is just a Solenoid point motor.

You haven't answered the question as to how you intend to operate the PM1 when the layout is DCC controlled.

The deployment of PM1's raises another question that you haven't given any information on.

The PM1 has a very simple change-over switch built in to it to power live frogs on PECO Electrofrog points. That is not an issue if you are using Hornby Insulfrog points as Hornby points will not be using that PM1 switch, but if you intend to use PECO Electrofrog points with full frog power switching for DCC then that could impact how you wire them up for both DCC & DC operation.

To get the best available advice, you really need to give us details of all aspects of your plans as requested in my initial reply and confirm whether you intend to use PECO Electrofrogs with frog power switching.

It's much quicker to have your points operated via an On-Off-On (sprung to centre) toggle switch. My layout is DCC and all of my points are Peco Electrofrog and I use Cobalt iP Digital point motors. They are wired for both toggle switch operation and DCC via my Hornby Elite. Why? Just to see how they worked - I never use the DCC method, it takes to long. That's just my personal view.