Pullman Names

I recently acquired a set of Pullman coaches (railroad) secondhand that came without any names on them.

Being as tight as I am, I've never bought a new one and so I am wondering, do these standardly come without names printed on them? Are transfers usually included in the box? And if so where I could get hold of some?

Even better, if anyone knows where I could get custom ones made? I'm not to bothered about realism so thought it would be cool to give some coaches names of my family etc

The current Railroad Pulmans do come with pre-printed names/car number. The parlor car carries the name "Rosemary", I don't recall what the car number is carried on the parlor brake. I did acquire some stickers to rename duplicates, but don't recall where.

Various people have made renaming kits for these coaches ranging from just names to full lining and in waterslide and sticky paper. The ones shown look quite good but the panels around the names don’t match the Tri-ang ones. Still, having a good set and a second set with a couple of tatty ones that could be tidied up with these seems a good opportunity.

Chris Leigh used to do a conversion set to make a Brighton Belle by cutting up seven of these coaches and adding his cast ends to make a six coach set.

Google was my friend - perhaps 5" later I found this:
Water slide decals , Tri-ang Pullman coaches,LNER different names,gauge 00,1:76 | eBay
Al.

Not sure if you’re trying to call me out for not just using google here...

But firstly I was asking how the coaches come as standard.

Secondly, I was looking for railroad rather than triang.

And thirdly, I was looking for the possibility of custom made names.

First question The coaches come as named or numbered, Parlour first and kitchen first are named, 2nd and 3rd class parlour kitchen and brake coaches are numbered.

2nd question the railroad parlour and brake coaches are made from the Tri-ang moulds and are only available as one named and one numbered coach

3rd question as Rana said some people make or print their own, you could try Fox transfers or several others listed in model railway magazines.

First question The coaches come as named or numbered, Parlour first and kitchen first are named, 2nd and 3rd class parlour kitchen and brake coaches are numbered. Triang normally named but made a batch over several years with the name plate was left blank but were supplied with a stick list of 6 names which was self applied.

2nd question the railroad parlour and brake coaches are made from the Tri-ang moulds and are only available as one named and one numbered coach

3rd question as Rana said some people make or print their own, you could try Fox transfers or several others listed in model railway magazines.

If you want to do your own you can get waterslide paper from a number of sources. The best I have used is from crafty computer something or other.com. Make sure you get the correct type for your printer.

If the coaches are completely blank you’ll probably be OK with the transparent version if you have a decent printer but you’ll get a much better finish with the white backed paper. the only difficulty then is that you either have to be very accurate with your cutting or you print a background that matches the coach.

In this case, as you have to print a whole sheet of A4 at once, I would print the names in yellow/gold with as close to the brown background as I could get on the screen, then print that along with two other versions slightly paler and two other versions slightly darker for each name you wanted. Choose the best fit once it’s printed and go with that. A bit of satin varnish once everything is dry will help hide any carrier film edges.

First question The coaches come as named or numbered, Parlour first and kitchen first are named, 2nd and 3rd class parlour kitchen and brake coaches are numbered.

The Railroad Pullman coach tools date back to 1974, when the new type Pullman Parlour Car was released as “Lucille” in Pullman livery. (This replaced the previous Tri-ang Railways models, 1958-1973.)

forum_image_60dba359250ea.png.53221dbc72aa5012a950a24b2f3c1c38.png

The real car was being restored not too far away from Margate at the time.

It was also released in BR Blue and Grey, lettered “Golden Arrow”. 1974 - 1978.

forum_image_60dba35a1f92a.png.ac95e00cf868a0725cda97d1e9f7df9e.png

Later, around 1980, a Brake Third/Second Class Car was released. This used the same Car number, Car No. 79, as the previous Tri-ang Railways model. (Around 1960 - 1973.)

forum_image_60dba35b02eac.png.02d614aa81ab5475c875c658bec67424.png

Later batches of both Parlour and brake cars (From 1987) were released with no printed names or numbers, a choice of these being provided as transfers, on a sheet. One sheet for the Brake Cars, another sheet for the Parlour Cars.

forum_image_60dba35bd8fae.png.0fd4b441985df5fa7d004e929392361b.png

forum_image_60dba35ca19cf.png.e8e487448519ec710f92ae56556a7be7.png

It seems that different names and numbers have been featured in the Catalogue over the years since the transfers were included.

These were before the Railroad brand was introduced.

Proper Railroad branded models ....It does seem that these don’t have transfers.

Rosemary, and Car No. 65.

forum_image_60dba35d73876.thumb.png.f34a7c1e26f50a417271e6a47f7f6e44.png