Union of South Africa

I first saw her in 1961 on the up train for Kings Cross just before she passed St Margarets Loco shed(Edinburgh)

I didn't start building my OO guage railway till about 2012 when I caught the bug,ever since then I have looked all over and cannot find one 60009 for sale anywhere.

I even wrote to Horby at the beginning of 2020 asking if they would make a railroad model( I didn't receive a reply)I think they missed a trick as she was retiring(mainline) last March and I think there would have been a big demand.

Can anybody help!!

Hi Robert, Hornby over the years have produced 4 versions of the Union of South Africa.

R2302, produced in 2002, Ltd. Ed. 500 produced.

R2909, produced in 2010, Ltd. Ed. 1000 produced.

R3198, produced in 2013, Ltd. Ed. 510. produced.

R3253, produced in 2014, Ltd. Ed. 510. Produced.

R3198 & R3253 were sold as parts of the Great Gathering, & Great goodbye collections.

As can be seen all variants are Ltd. Ed’s hence why they are hard to obtain.

A suitable donor to convert to 60009, maybe the railroad R2784X BRc Mallard, that model also is DCC fitted.

I keep a look out every so often.

I've already got 2 Mallards, and search for UoSA but prices are in the silly end of the silly region, so it's not happening.

Renaming / renumbering seems to be the best option.

A4's have had a strong resurgence recently, despite many being up to 20 years old, 'new' or not!!

Al.

Did Hornby Dublo or Wrenn do a 2 rail model of UoSA? I’m sure I’ve seen one but it might have been a rename/number. I bought a HD Mallard as it was less than the equivalent second hand more modern version. Ok so it’s not got all the modern bells and whistles but it’ll outlast me and it’ll pull just about anything.