Chris Hoy set

As the Chris Hoy set is 'DCC Ready' thus an Analogue set.

Make sure that you are still not using any Hornby DC Analogue track power connector products [R8206 & R602 - this also includes the R8201 link wire] these track power connectors are not compatible with DCC and can cause lost control of DCC fitted locos, particularly Hornby TTS sound ones which are particularly prone.

The correct Hornby power track connector products for DCC are R8241 & R8242.

You can perform a DIY modification of the R8206, R602 & R8201 products to convert them to be DCC friendly by opening them up and removing the internal suppression capacitor.

forum_image_60e811d1bd520.png.b88d153d925ab3d78bffb89e6021705d.png

What controller are you using?

If it is RailMaster, then there is a well reported issue where newly added locos only have two DCC states, stationary and full speed. If your controller is RM, then this question would have been better placed in the RM forum which would probably have then triggered replies focusing on the RM issue I have just mentioned. If your controller is not RM, then follow Rob's advice and disable 'DC Operation' in CV29.

In that case the answer is likely to be as Chris previously pointed out, a well known RM problem. You should delete the loco from the RM roster and relist it. This may have to be done several times. The clue to a successful listing is what numbers do you see at the top of the throttle slider. Post a screen grab.

William,

Now that you have FINALLY, told us that the controller is an eLink which means RailMaster. Then your reported issue becomes clear to us. What you are reporting is a very common issue that has consistently been reported since the release of version 1.7x RailMaster [which is why your thread has been moved to this RM sub-forum].

The issue only seems to affect when adding a newly purchased loco [or new decoder fitted loco] to the RM locomotive roster. It has got nothing to do with decoder CVs and can not be fixed by changing any of them. It is a RailMaster software issue and has to be fixed within the RM application. I strongly advise that you reset your decoder to factory default [write 8 to CV8] so that the RM fix is not compromised by any CV changes in the decoder you may have made.

This previous thread saves me re-inventing the wheel in this thread.

Railmaster and ESU v5 speed control issue :: Hornby Hobbies

PS - Rob posted whilst I was typing