Motor spins but wheels don't

Trevor -1216086

Just pulled out my Hornby mixed freight set, which has been in storage for a couple of years, the set only ran a few times and i had to pack it away due to a house move, I've just set it up again but find that me to engines don't move, the motors on them work as I can hear them but no movement, my DCC select seems to be working, so im at a loss as to what is happening (or not happening) I've scoured the internet but no joy, so if anybody can help me that would be great.

It is probably one of three things, either the motor is not engaging with the gears properly or the valve gear or wheels are seized, or one of the gears is turning on its axle. Unfortunately, it is take the loco apart job. I did have issues recently where the motor worked but didn't have enough power to turn the wheels. What locos are we talking about? It might help as certain ones have common faults.

Colin, these are the standard 0-6-0 locos that are included in the 'Mixed Freight Set' as the OP stated in his post.

For reference this is set R1126

Sorry missed that bit, I did ask what it was. Anyway it is probably the axle mounted gear not engaging with the motor the tolerance on this is extremely critical. On my one it looked perfectly ok but was not meshing with the motor worm drive. I messed around with it for ages before buying a new gear which fixed it.

On both locos, not run much, then stored for a while (that’s what the OP said)? One I’d believe, both less likely.

First I’d do is a service by cleaning and lubricating as per the maintenance sheet with the set, using model railway or sewing machine oil. Also remove the body to confirm if the motor really is running without the wheels turning, if no joy from the service.

@ DonnyRailMan

If the motor runs but does not move the loco and the driving wheels can be rotated by hand, you probably have a split gear on the drive axle so that it no longer grips the axle.

Glueing may give a temporary cure but, unless ColinB can confirm his 'fix' using a transfer gear would be appropriate, it will probably mean buying replacement driving wheelsets.

I think if I remember someone on EBay was doing replacement gears on their own for the 0-6-0, all the normal outlets were sold out, I think Going Spare told me where to find them. I think I had to get a blue one instead of the original black one.

With the Flying Scotsman there are three ways to fix it, one is buy a complete set of wheels. Next one is compare the gear with any of the intermediate gear kits, I found the one of the gears that comes with X8849 in its various forms works with a Duchess, Hornby surprisingly seem to use a constant set of gears for most of their Pacifics. The third solution is to send the broken gear off to UltraScale products and get a brass replacement, that is what I will do next time. I would not recommend glueing the gear unless you absolutely have to. The tooth on the one you glue is general a fraction bigger which at slow speed can cause jerking. I recently fixed a loco for a friend where someone had glued the gear. He was complaining that the wheels didn't move smoothly which I eventually traced to the glued gear.

@ DonnyRailMan
If the motor runs but does not move the loco and the driving wheels can be rotated by hand, you probably have a split gear on the drive axle so that it no longer grips the axle.
Glueing may give a temporary cure but, unless ColinB can confirm his 'fix' using a transfer gear would be appropriate, it will probably mean buying replacement driving wheelsets.

Thank you for information.