Hornby dcc with Bachmann ez command

ChristianDra

I have a Hornby digital controller but I know it can't run all Bachmann dcc locomotives but I got a ez command for my birthday plus a modified track that can connect the ez command to Hornby track. I want to ask can I have a Hornby dcc loco have an address on the ez command controller?

Yes it can, but what you must not do is connect both controllers to the track at the same time.

Apart from their track voltages likely being slightly different it would be akin to having two people shouting different things in each of your ears at once in different accents.

I have a Hornby digital controller but I know it can't run all Bachmann dcc locomotives.

What makes you think that.

Most of my locos are Bachmann and they work fine with my Hornby controller [Elite].

Yes early 'Select' firmware has had past issues with some decoders, but the current Select firmware has wide spread support for non-Hornby decoders. Selects can have their firmware updated by Hornby for a small fee.

What Hornby controller have you got? and if it is a 'Select' what is the current installed firmware [the very first number to appear very briefly on the screen as it is powered up].

Hi

DCC is (or should be!) pretty universal and very much the same as analogue DC is. That is a loco fitted with Hornby, Bachmann, Dapol, Zimo or ESU etc decoder will work with any standard NMRA compliant DCC control system. There are a very few exceptions but the above is generally true.

Where you may have issues is the the basic Bachmann EZ controller only allows nine DCC address number to be used. So if you have a loco address of say 22 you then cannot operate it on the basic EZ DCC system, as 22 is not an address number obtainable. You would have to use the Hornby DCC to alter that locos address number to within the 1 to 9 range.