Lack of Hornby DCC trainsets

ShunterEvs-1216447

I have been looking to get started with an OO set, and after much reading and umming and arrhing have decided the one that I liked the look of the most was the Mixed Freight Set, complete with two DCC ready loco's and a Select controller. (The era difference between the two loco's in the same set would need to be a different post). I'm not looking at big engines and trains due to space and I like the idea of [playing] shunting.

Then when I look to buy it there seems to be a distinct lack of this or any other DCC starter set available on the market. Potential options are the eLink and computer setup, something I definitely don't want to do. Or going out and buying everything separate which goes against the idea of the introductory "train set".

Everything was in that set at what seemed a great price, were Hornby just not making a profit, are they pushing eLinks as the future, or should I consider looking elsewhere?

Hornby only offers the Select controller or eLink-RM combo with its digital sets probably because including the more advanced Elite controller would make the cost outwith starter set pricing.

Even if Hornby do not have much of a range currently in stock it is worth checking retailers (local or on line) for older stock which can often be at bargain prices.

Just to correct you - locos included with digital train sets are DCC-Fitted not DCC-Ready.

Fitted means they have a factory fitted decoder and are ready to run on digital control, whereas Ready means they have a factory fitted socket for you to fit the decoder of your choice.

Neil

I think the Mixed Freight set has been discontinued and Bachmann DCC sets start at upwards of £300. Dapol and the other small players in the market don't bother with train sets.

Train sets are 'by and large' given as gifts or bought by people starting out in the hobby, much like yourself. I doubt many go straight to digital, but I agree that there is a gap in Hornby's range for a 'serious' digital start set. If you look at what Roco offer in terms of DCC starter sets then Hornby are far behind. However, will many UK modellers/parents/grandparents pay what is required for some of these sets though starting at €300 seems reasonable to me for what is contained.

I would suggest you look for a s/h Select or Elite on Ebay and buy the starter set of your choice (avoiding the era issue of the Mixed Freight locomotives) provided it contains a DCC ready loco. Stick in the decoder of your choice and away you go!

• 4 weeks later...
@Neil
Welcome to the Forum
Moderator Note:
Could you please select the 'My profile' tab in your Dashboard on the Forum and choose a nickname, rather than your First name that has been automatically allocated by the system. Hopefully a Forum change is coming soon to prevent this automatic allocation but a manual change is required at the moment and there will be more than one member with your name.

DS; I'm probably being very thick, but getting nowhere in choosing a nickname. Nowhere does it show a nickname box, putting it in my first name box but that doesn't appear to change anything. Thanks

This thread is of interest to me, too, as I'm very close to buying €900+ worth of kit for my first layout.

I'd like to know if anyone has experience of stockists, including Hornby.com, fitting DCC decoders to locos in train sets (such as 'The Flying Scotsman') BEFORE shipping the complete set?

Of course, even a beginner like me can see the flaw in this suggestion...as the non-DCC fitted sets will come with analogue controllers.