RailMaster not recognising e-Link

Newbie here - been nibbling away trying to get RailMaster to recognize the e-Link for months - still haven't been able to enjoy the trainset we bought last year!!

I can summarize current situation as:

RailMaster is installed, updated to 1.74 and the .ini file amended

The e-link is being recognized in the Windows 10 Device Manager as 'USB Serial Port (COM3)', though it is a little unstable (sometimes not recognized, sometimes it is), but lets assume this is indeed recognized. I've set the Baud rate on both RailMaster and the COM3 port on the laptop to 115200.

I've also got Avast running, where I have also allowed All connections to RailMaster.exe in its application settings. By default, Windows firewall is disabled by Avast, so shouldn't be an issue.

So with all of the above, within RailMaster 'System Settings', the 'Control A: Hornby eLink' remains in pink colour, which is indicating it is not able to identify the eLink.

The only other comment that could be helpful is that I have also downloaded the 'Elite v1.45 Update' (the firmware update) directly onto my laptop. (I do not have an Elite, but understand this firmware update is same for the eLink). When I double click on that .exe file, (again sometimes it is unstable, but others is recognized), I choose the correct Port and Type 3 computer (high spec laptop), a pop-up box appears stating 'IOException. Error in open the Port!'. This feels a little at odds with the Device Manager, as it appears in Windows that the eLink is being recognized.

Really appreciate any support from the community! I've bought this Hornby Majestic train set for my little boy (and me :) ), but am dead in the water with it so far..

Many thanks in advance all!!!

Regards - Ian.

Re the Elite firmware. This is not the same as eLInk firmware.

You are getting confused with drivers used by Windows for these two controllers which are the same, but nothing to do with firmware.

Attempting to upload Elite firmware to eLink could brick it.

eLInk firmware is currently v1.07 and RM will pick up if it needs updating or not and tell you. If you wish to update manually then with RM closed down look for the v1.07.exe file in the RM folder and right click and install from there.

Your problems with the eLink not being recognised is a common newbie error and easily fixed by following the step by step guides that are regularly posted on here. The likely fault is .ini file settings.

I agree with Rob, the issue is more likely not having the optimum .INI file settings for an eLink. You say you have amended them, but you haven't told us to what?

To recap, for an eLink on a Win10 PC you need these settings for stability.

"Reset eLink on start" amended from =1 to =0

Alternative comms=1

Check controller=1

These second two lines need to be deleted and retyped as the very last two lines in the file.

The .INI file editor is opened in RM via the bluish COG icon located in the lower left area of the RM 'Help' window.

Again as you haven't specifically stated this, I mention this below to be 'belt n braces':

In the RM 'System Settings' screen, I assume you have also used the pull down 'COMx' box to select 'COM3' to match your entry in 'Device Manager'.

As Rob also states. The Windows Driver "USB Serial Port (COMx)" displayed in 'Device Manager' is the same for both the eLink and the Elite. But the 'Firmware' which is something completely different is not the same for both controllers. The two different types of firmware [1.07 for the eLink and 1.45 for the Elite] are also installed into the controller hardware through completely different methodologies.

@Ian
Moderator Note:
Could you please select the 'View my Community’ in your Dashboard on the Forum and choose a nickname in the ‘My profile' tab, rather than your First name that has been automatically allocated by the system. Hopefully a Forum change is coming soon to prevent this automatic allocation but a manual change is required at the moment and there will be more than one member with your name.

Okay, done - many thanks!!

Hi Rob and Chris - Many thanks for the feedback. Yes all clear on your points. Copying the amended .ini file here. Appreciate if this can be confirmed as being correct?

Tipper speed=80

Tipper timer=86.4

Turntable speed=40

Turntable timer=23.56

Points timer=0.75

Conveyor speed=65

TCP start port=30

Double pulse=0

Check serial ports=1

Show upgrade button=1

Allow deactivate=1

Use default curves=1

Polling time=5

Confirm delete=1

Classic buttons=0

Show point indicators=1

Uncoupler time=5

Detection Timeout=5

Button bar vertical=0

Throttle timer=5

Handheld plan area=1,1,135,135

Program tick sound=1

PING time=60

Reset eLink on start=0

Enable mouse=1

Warn static IP=1

Load Hornby locos=1

Point button arrows=1

Spoken confirmation=0

Controllers on top=1

Double pulse=0

Alternative Comms2=0

Check controller2=0

Elite feedback=0

Full controllers=0

Show animations=1

Alternative Comms=1

Check controller=1

Although not critical, the only slight amendment I would make is to delete the two lines:

Alternative Comms2=0

Check controller2=0

These are not needed if there is no 'Controller B' attached. But they would need to be re-instated with applicable =N entries if a 'Controller B' was ever added at a future date.

'Double pulse=0' is also listed twice, I would delete one of the two entries.

Apart from that, the .INI file entries look to be correct as shown.

TCP start port=30 is a totally valid entry in the .INI file.

It is used by RM Hand Held devices when initiating TCP/IP communication between the RM PC and any Wi-fi connected HH device. The 30 denotes the starting TCP/IP IP port number. The handshaking search starts at port 30 and increments upward from 30 to the maximum port number until a HH device is synchronised on the Wi-fi network. When there is more than one HH device attached via Wi-fi to the RM laptop IP address, each device is assigned a different port number on the RM laptop IP address to differentiate the communication paths between multiple HH devices and the RM PC.

It is completely safe to leave in-situ. I have not tried removing the entry to test, but its absence could possibly initiate an error message.

I recommended removing the two 'Controller B' lines not because there was no Controller B present, but because it eliminated any possible risk of them affecting 'Controller A' communication.

@Chrissaf

Hi Chris - okay, have implemented changes to the .ini file as you've suggested and no improvement. Again, if it helps - within MS Windows File Explorer, I've gone to C:Program Files (x86)RailMaster and located the eLink107.exe file.

I've right clicked on that and Run as administrator, which opens up a pop-up window with the eLink Controller Firmware Update Version: 1.07, ensured that it is on COM3 and clicked on Update Proceed.

A pop-up comes up there with 'IOException Error in open the Port!'. Just wondering if this points to the potential problem. Again, in Device Manager, the device does appear to be recognized correctly as 'USB Serial Port COM3'...

Really appreciated the feedback thank you.!

First of all as a new forum member, could I very politely ask you to refrain from using the 'Blue / White arrow' quote button each time you reply. So far, I have been editing out the unnecessary quotes. I appreciate that just about every other forum on the planet has a 'Reply' button embedded in each post [the blue button is not a 'reply' button]. This forum is unique in that it does not have a 'Reply' button. The correct method to reply, is to write any reply you want to make in the 'Reply Text Box' at the bottom of the screen and click the Green 'Post Reply' button located there.

Back to your issue.

All the guidance you have followed so far fixes your issue 99 times out of a 100. There have however been the occasional situation that matches your exact observations. Which are that the eLink is recognised in Windows 'Device Manager' but not recognised by RailMaster or the Firmware updater.

In these very rare reported scenarios, the eLink was found to be faulty and a replacement eLink unit fixed the issue. It would appear that your eLink falls into that category. If it is still under Warranty then I recommend you arrange for a replacement.

PS - Just to add, that RM must not be running when you run the eLink107.exe file as an administrator.

• 4 weeks later...

New member, but have been reading the forums for quite some time now.

As a tech savvy guy I am embaressed to admit having nearly given up on the whole Railmaster / E-link setup. When it worked, it was perfect for my needs, but more often than not windows would not recognise the device, or it would recognise it, but Railmaster would tell me it couldn't communicate. I poured over the forums, searched for the answer, did everything everyone had previously suggested, but to no avail.

Then in one post someone mentioned not using USB 3 ports. I wondered if this could be an issue, I knew USB handshakes to be different, but I only had one USB port on my laptop (USB3!).

I popped the laptop into a USB docking station which had a good old fashioned USB 2 port, and can honestly say I nearly cried when it worked, so then i restarted, and it worked, and i kept doing this for maybe 15 more times, it just kept working. It has not missed a beat since.

I post only in case this helps someone else out.