Using TTS sound decoders with Digitrax SD500D controller.

Caesium

Yo. Ive been looking at steam locos for a model railway I'm working on, and I found a Hornby Class 8P Merchant Navy loco with a TTS sound decoder fitted in already, and I've been thinking about buying it. The only problem is that my throttle is a digitrax SD500D. Is there a way I can control the Loco using that throttle? (I heard only hornby throttles work with Hornby DCC/sound decoders).

Thanks, Josh.

Urban myth Josh.

Although DCC standards should mean all kit works with other kit there are rare occasions when a particular decoder will not play nice with a particular controller.

Hornby kit works with other manufacturers kit if that kit is NMRA DCC compliant.

Hey Josh, I’m having a thing with topic titles this weekend, but then that’s me. Although good titles often improve your hits for good answers.

In this instance, a better title for your topic might have been TTS with Digitrax SD500D, which is just a direct summary of the question you have asked.

And further to Rob’s answer around DCC compliance is that you need a controller which can handle 20 functions to get full use of a TTS decoder. How many does the SD500D handle?

Moderator’s note: Topic title amended as suggested.