Help sought running a Bachmann DCC train with a Hornby DCC system

NTom50

Help please with using a new Bachmann DCC train with a Hornby DCC system. I can hear the train motor buzzing, but no movement. I setup the train with the Select module but still not working. The Hornby trains are running fine. Any advice please?

Your observation description perfectly describes the placement of a 'DCC Ready' locomotive on a DCC powered track. Be aware that a 'DCC Ready' loco is not fitted with a DCC decoder, therefore it is in effect still a DC Analogue locomotive. The motor buzzing you can hear is the alternating DCC track voltage heating up your motor, if you leave it buzzing you will eventually burn out the motor. So you must fit a decoder before trying to use it.

The only other possibility (if the loco is indeed DCC Fitted) is that the drive gears are slipping, thus the motor is turning but the wheels are not. But that said, the use of the term buzzing usually means the former deduction.

Bachmann use a D or DS suffix product code to denote a DCC Fitted model. For example nnn.nnnnD or nnn.nnnnDS. D for Decoder fitted and DS for Decoder with Sound fitted. If there is no D or DS then the loco leaving the factory is DC Analogue 'DCC Ready'.

Further - the product code has a 'K' following the product number and shown as 21DCC. I checked it out with the shop as there was nowhere for a new decoder to fit and after looking at the train firmly stated that the decoder was already fitted. Does that make sense to you?

I stand by Chris and say there is no decoder in the loco.

21DCC on the box usually indicates it needs a 21-pin decoder.

The K likely indicates the running number from a range of locos.

Please quote the full catalogue number and we can research it further.

Edit: Having browsed the Bachmann UK catalogue range they have DS, SF, DSF, DS, and SFX for their sound fitted locos and various other suffixes or non sound locos, so until we get the full catalogue number to identify the exact loco its all guesswork.

In my experience, Bachmann locos that have a decoder fitted are described as "DCC Onboard"

Edit

If there is a decoder fitted the buzzing could be happening if the drive train is jammed in some way, preventing the motor from turning.

Rog(RJ)'s suggestion that the drive is jammed is another possible valid reason for buzzing.

Your comment:

"The buzzing I described occurs before and after I have selected a code for it to operate."

This would seem to indicate a confirmation of a decoder not being present scenario. If a decoder was present, then any buzzing would be only after the loco DCC address had been selected and the speed knob turned up to move it and not before.

The 21DCC label on the box is only indicating that the loco has a 21 pin socket, it does not indicate that a 21 pin decoder is fitted or 'on-board' as Rog(RJ) corrected.

The 21 pin socket will be populated with a small Printed Circuit Board on a 'DCC Ready' locomotive. This small PCB may look like a decoder to an untrained eye.

I had something similar with a Bachmann decoder. One of the things you could do is check that there is a decoder in there, if so then it may well be the same fault. As you started to dial up a speed the loco buzzed like made, then as you increase it even more, then the loco moves. The buzzing stops you going any further, as in my case I was frightened something might blow up. As I say when I persevered the loco did actually move. I even opened a topic on this forum but got no sensible answers. There is a batch of Bachmann decoders that seem to do this, I took one out of a loco last week, works ok but makes a buzzing sound initially. I think there is even a YouTube video somewhere complaining about it. It might be an idea to take out the decoder and replace it with another type, I use Zimo, but I also found the Hatton's ones work ok as long as you aren't trying to drive a ringfield motor. Hornby ones are ok but you have make sure the motor current is not outside its limits (they go bang).

The default address of a new decoder is 3 so it will run on that as soon as installed without any tweaks.

You may then wish to give it a different unique address ready for if you get another DCC loco, but note using a Select this has to be in the range 1 to 59 only.