Day/night running lights.

Potrail2378

Hi, I've just bought a Lima (Hornby?) class 55 Deltic in Porterbrook purple, running number D9016. Because it has triple headlights, I feel obliged to fit three sets of directional lights when I convert it to DCC.

Is it a 'high beam' and 'low beam' kind of configuration? And could I utilise the purple feed of the decoder to achieve this?

Thanks in advance.

Short answer yes - the white and yellow wires (in concert with the common positive blue) take care of the directional running lights and you could use the green for one end cyclops headlight and the purple for the other end.

These would operate thus...

F0 - directional, F1 one way and F2 the other way.

Short answer is no. Even the Sapphire was only a four function decoder.

TTS is a three function decoder, with directional lights using two and F25 using the third. Any cab lights on that function output would not be directional, only both on or off, unless you rigged them from the F0 directional wire, but that would not be prototypical i.e. cab light on when running.

@Fishy

Although the basic architecture of the two decoders is the same they use different PIC chips and the TTS decoder is only rigged for three function outputs (F0 fwd and rev and F1). In simplistic terms the fourth function output has been hived off to feed the sound amplifier.

If you compare the TTS and R8249 decoders there is unfortunately no ‘ninth’ pad on TTS to solder a purple wire to.