Elite Loco Addresses

JB59

I tried to programme a Class 20 as address 2083. The address is in the loco log but the loco failed to take on that address and is still the default 0003. Because 2083 is in the log, I am unable to change the 0003 to 2083 as Elite thinks it is already in use. Is there a way to remove 2083 ? I have tried a reset but 2083 remains in the loco log. Thanks.

I think you may be doing something wrong. The Elite is not that intelligent, I can give different decoders the same address as often as I like. In fact there are times when giving two decoders the same address is desirable.

I suggest that your decoder is not accepting an address change for some other reason and has never been altered from the default 003.

You use the term 'Reset'. Can you be specific please, do you mean resetting the loco by writing 8 to CV8 or do you mean factory resetting the Elite using the Elite menu option.

If you mean a loco decoder CV8 reset, then that is probably failing for the same reason that you can't change the address.

Not really sure what you are referring to by 'Loco Log'. Can you state the page number of the Elite manual where this feature is mentioned so that it can be researched. I assume you are referring to the 10 slot memory, where the last 10 locos that have been controlled are stored. This memory has no impact on managing what addresses can be configured in a loco decoder. It is used to aid the quick selection of locos on a layout to be controlled, and if I recall correctly, this memory is cleared when the Elite is powered down.

What firmware revision is your Elite?

This is a long reply and as this is your very first post, please avoid the 'blue button with the white arrow'. This is not a 'Reply to this post' button. To reply use the 'Reply Text Box' at the bottom of the page. Thank you.

Obvious question is can your decoder accept long addresses. There are some decoders that have limited address ranges.

The Elite should send a long address, make automatic changes to CV29 and store the long address in CVs 17 and 18. You could read these back using the Elite and report here or decode them using the Long CV calculator here...

http://www.2mm.org.uk/articles/cv29%20calculator.htm

Scroll down past the CV29 calculator.

Default long address is 100 (I know this is technically a short address but...) and CVs 17 and 18 will read 192 100.

Reading back CV values successfully will prove your Elite programming output is working.

The loco log is described in the additional features, page 33 of the on line version. I gave my first Class 20 the code 2015 which worked, then tried to give the second 2084. The second is still showing as 0003 despite 2084 being allocated in the loco log. I did a unit reset but it obviously retained the 2084 code. I was wondering if this can be deleted off the unit so I can retry to allocate 2084 to the loco again. It currently won’t do that.

We still don’t know what Version your Elite is. Check the startup screen.

For those unable to find Loco Log in the manual it is page 66 of the v1.4> download book.

The term loco log is I think misleading as it is simply a seek and find tool. You type in a loco number and the Elite sends a quick fwd-rev command to that address and you watch for such movement on track to find out where your particular loco is.

I doubt Elite retains all searched-for locos in a stack, but without trying it I could be wrong. Does ESC cycle through any previous searches.

In any case a unit reset should clear all such listings, named locos or points, favourites, etc.

Any locos selected during a running session scrollable via ESC are held in volatile memory and the list is cleared at power down.

With regard to the unresponsive 2084, be aware that looking for it in the ‘log’ will not find it if that address has not been successfully programmed into the decoder first.