Elite resetting itself?

Potrail2378

Hi, I have a Hornby Elite in the loft which I use to operate my loco's on the layout. I don't use it very often, maybe once or twice a month.

I also have a Hornby Select in the workshop in one of the outhouses. I recently had the Select updated by Hornby (not sure if this is relevant to my question though), and I updated the Elite via my P.C. about eight months ago.

The Elite seems to have forgotten all of the addresses of my loco's. This isn't the first time this has happened. It's pretty frustrating because I have programed each loco, and also 'named' each loco, which takes up quite a bit of time.

Should I leave the Elite switched on all the time?

What is the On/Off switch actually for on the Elite? Nothing seems to happen when I push the On/Off switch.

Also - when I push F0 for the directional lights, the head/tail lights only flash on, then go straight off again. I usually have to push F0 four or five times before the lights come on properly.

Several things in play here.

The Elite memory is volatile so any running session stack is lost at power down, but such things as favourite lists or names for loso and points is retained until the unit is reset via the menus.

Leaving anything electrical on all the time is not recommended in case of failure which could cause a fire, etc.

The On/Off button - this is only used in conjunction with a Hornby Sapphire decoder to top up the fuel when using the coal/water/fuel burn facility. When the fuel runs out the loco stops and flashes its lights for attention until you press the On/Off button whereupon it runs again until that load runs out. If you don’t have a Sapphire decoder then the button should have no affect.

Finally the lights - the buttons on Elite and Select are not proper tactile switches but simply triangular contacts bowed in shape. When you press the button it presses this contact onto the mother board. If a unit has been standing around for a while the contacts can get a coating of fine corrosion. Exercising the buttons will abrade this off and the button will work fine again.

You can check out the Elite by holding the LOCO button as you power it up. Release when you see the Hornby screen. The Elite will perform a self check, light up every pixel and once it has reported if the EEPROM is good or failed, then you can press each button and twiddle each knob and see a response on screen, thus proving your buttons.

Hi 96RAF, and thanks for the comprehensive response.

When you say 'exercising the buttons', is that just a case of switching the Elite off and pushing each button repeatedly?

And, is the Elite straightforward to take apart - for example to rub the contacts with IPA?

Thanks in advance 👍

In Rob's signature panel at the bottom of his reply post is a URL text. Go to his listed website and you will find a complete Elite strip down tutorial with 'step by step' screen grabs to access the buttons.

The contacts are held in place by of all things technical sticky tape. I would not advise removing it as realignment would be onerous.

The LOCO self test is useful as it confirms if a button is working or not and you can simply keep exercising it in that test mode until it does .

forum_image_61602fce6d56a.thumb.png.c84509d5ab028c3764ef56befccfed5a.png

forum_image_61602fd4ba488.thumb.png.df53c3d17025c4f6c0f91c173193e5df.png

forum_image_61602fd9e8257.thumb.png.deabdeabeaed18cca5b6174c18080c66.png

forum_image_61602fde6a671.thumb.png.9fc69f3cae126f464a605222e3f44914.png

Dismantling is fairly straightforward but you need a triangular bit for your screwdriver, not a tri-wing. At a push an Allen key will do but the screws are very soft and the Δ socket easily distorts.

Look for the Teardown Reports Tab on my side menu.