Beatles Eurostar not running after install R8249

Nethope

Hi, newbie here on DCC. I have installed R8249 decoder on Beatles Eurostar R1253 but I couldn’t make it run, even with default 03. I’m using a Hornby Select controller. I followed every instruction with orange wire aligned with pin 1. Not sure what else to check of if there’s anything on the part of loco wiring that I need to do.

The R1253 is an Analogue Train Set that comes with track and a Hornby R8250 controller. This means that the set will come with a Hornby R8206 Analogue track power connector.

This R8206 track power connector is not compatible with DCC and can distort and disrupt the DCC commands from the Select controller and prevent them from cleanly reaching the R8249 decoder.

Of course, you may have a faulty R8249, but to obtain the best chance of your DCC control system working, you either need to replace the R8206 with a R8241 DCC track power connector or modify the R8206 for DCC use. Modification involves opening the cover between the two rails that is adjacent to the wire connection position and snipping out the capacitor that is soldered across the two rails.

If you still have issues after performing this modification then try a different R8249 decoder.

Try it with the decoder plugged in the other way round. Lights if fitted will not work but the motor should run albeit reverse to your selected direction. If it works then the socket has a fault and should be lifted and examined for stray wire strands or solder tracking between the connection traces.

Then given the combined comments off all your posts taken together, the only logical deduction that can be made is that there is an issue with the socket in the loco. It may be miswired / short circuit or the pins of the decoder are not making contact with the socket holes. You are really at the stage where you need a multimeter to perform diagnostic wiring checks.

If the socket (assuming 8 pin type) is miswired such that either socket holes 1 & 8 are reversed or 4 & 5 are reversed. Also check for short circuits between sockets 1 & 8 or 4 & 5 (these factory faults have been known to happen on Hornby 8 pin sockets), then the blanking plate will work on DC but a decoder will not work.

But note that if one of these suggested socket holes are wired in reverse or short circuit as per the examples above, then any decoder that has been plugged into the socket and powered up is very likely to have permanently damaged the motor control circuit of the decoder. Any decoder that has been damaged in this way is bin fodder and beyond repair.

Note that it has also been reported on the forum that pushing the decoder plug too far into the socket can sometimes prevent the decoder working.

When wired correctly then the following should be correct when using a multimeter on the resistance scale setting.

Socket hole 1 should have a near zero ohms reading with one wheel side.

Socket hole 5 should have a near zero ohms reading with the wheels on the other side

(wheels that have pickup contacts of course).

Socket hole 4 should have a near zero ohms reading with one side of the motor.

Socket hole 8 should have a near zero ohms reading with the other side of the motor.

There should be an open circuit (no ohms resistance) between socket holes 1 & 8 nor 4 & 5.

All above multimeter readings taken without a decoder or blanking plate fitted, and the loco not placed on any track.