R8245 Decoder

jacksprat.

Hi, I would appreciate if anybody could advise me if you can still purchase the hornby R8245 Sapphire decoder I am trying to locate one to replace a burnt out one.

If it is no longer available what is the alternative?

The controller for the layout is a Hornby Select with the latest software

Thank you

There was only ever one production run of the Sapphire decoder so you are looking at finding one on some dusty shelf somewhere.

Google it and hope to find a retailer with the odd one or two left.

At present there is no direct Hornby equivalent, nor any other decoder with the fuel burn feature that I know of.

The R8245 is discontinued by Hornby. Although you can't purchase direct from Hornby, there might be old new stock still sitting on retailer shelves so use Google to search.

The R8245 is natively a 21 pin decoder that came with a 21 pin to 8 pin adaptor harness. The R8245 also had a much higher motor current rating than the other Hornby decoders. The R8245 also supported a wider range of CVs.

In terms of Hornby branded alternatives, the only potential alternative is the R8249, but only if the following decoder requirements are true:

1. Your loco socket is 8 pin and you used the R8245 supplied adapter wiring harness.
  2. You do not need the higher motor current rating of the R8245 and the lower 500mA motor current of the R8249 is acceptable.
  3. You never used the 'fuel simulator' function of the R8245 which is not supported on the R8249.
  4. You never used the integral event programming function of the R8245 which is not supported on the R8249.
  5. You never used the extended CV support of the R8245 which is not supported on the R8249.

If you need a decoder with 21 pins or a higher than 500mA current, or any of the features mentioned above that are not supported on the R8249, then you will need to look to what you can source from a different non Hornby decoder brand.

Given you say the R8245 has 'burnt out' it sounds as if you really do need a high motor current decoder, so this really limits you to sourcing a non Hornby brand if you can't find old new stock.

EDIT: Rob posted whilst I was typing.

EDIT 2: I can find several being advertised on ebay. Anticsonline model shop also appear to have 7 in stock.

Thank you both for your very informative replies, the decoder was used in a six wheel tender drive, I converted the ringfield motor (burnt out) to one supplied by Strathpeffer junction, the conversion was easy but the loco ran erratic until I changed the decoder to the sapphire and then the loco ran very smoothly, the only stipulation from Strathpeffer Junction was the controller had to be able to adjust the CV5 / CV6, I never had to do that just fitting the sapphire cured all the problems until a wire broke away from the decoder and shorted across other terminals. I dont have sound the layout is for my autistic son so the only wires connected from the decoder is the orange, grey, black and red.

Thank you

Likely the DVD motor supplied was a 6v one and the suggestion to adjust Cv5 and 6 is to limit the max and mid range motor voltage to compensate. Strathpeffer now supplies diode kits to drop the voltage without the need to adjust Cvs.

As stated if you do not need the additional features of the Sapphire simply replace it with an R8249 or other basic 8-pin decoder, noting that the basic Hornby decoder does NOT support adjustment of max and mid voltage, but other makes of decoder may - check their spec sheets.

I used to have the R8249 in this particular loco but after changing to the different motor the loco ran very erratic and would not run slowly but the R8245 cured it straight away that's why I was looking for a direct replacement.

I would like to thank you both for your help and information.

I've already indicated in my last reply that you can buy a R8245 online from various online sellers, and specifically mentioned "Anticsonline".