TTS for Class 55.

geejbee

Good evening all. I recently aquired a second hand Hornby Class 55 number R3497 which I am very pleased with. I see there is no dedicated tts decoder available but I was wondering if there is something with a reasonable approximation that would give an acceptable sound. For me it doesn't have to be perfect.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Grahame.

Class 55 is a Deltic. These engines have an extremely distinctive sound that no other diesel comes anywhere close to emulating. The Deltic has a very low bass rumble that even expensive sound decoders have difficulty sounding realistic. I have a Class 55 Loksound with a reflex bass speaker, and even that sounds weak against the real thing. In my youth I would meet relatives from the North arriving on Deltic hauled trains. You didn't as much hear them pulling into Kings Cross you felt them thud in ones chest. It was those memories that made having a Class 55 Deltic sound model on my layout a high priority.

I seem to remember the Deltic was high on the TTS wish-list post we had running way back. Maybe Hornby have it on their list - if only we could see that list.

I agree with Chris once you have heard the twin engines in a Deltic close up you never forget it.

Thanks for the comments. I've seen/heard a few class 55s on the internet and they are certainly distinctive, but at the risk of offending true followers of the original, is there a tts decoder that would give a reasonable diesel sound, or should I just wait and hope Hornby come up with a specific decoder?

Grahame

I would say stick anything in there for now (Cl 37 is a good meaty sound) and wait for a retro-kit Deltic TTS to pop up. I have a Deltic test decoder destined for R****TTS and it is good. I don't have a YT account or I could upload a video of it.