4’x6’ Track plans

Ben-1220987

@Ben

Moderator Note:

Could you please select the 'View my Community’ in your Dashboard on the Forum and choose a nickname in the ‘My profile' tab, rather than your First name that has been automatically allocated by the system. Hopefully a Forum change is coming soon to prevent this automatic allocation but a manual change is required at the moment and there will be more than one member with your name.

If you go to the top of the General Discussion forum there is sticky thread titled "Useful Links". Open this thread and scroll down to the "Free Track Plans" link.

But note this warning caveat. Many track plans documented for this small 4 x 6 footprint are likely to utilise Radius 1 curves. Radius 1 was common in the early days of Hornby, and Triang prior to Hornby. Modern rolling stock is now typically designed for Radius 2 minimum curves. Running R2 rolling stock on R1 curves is very likely to result in excessive derailments. Note also, that these early historical track plans also made use of gradients with upper and lower levels. These were common when Triang locos were heavier and had "Magnahesion" (magnet assisted traction on steel rails). Modern track is non magnetic Nickel Silver, thus Magnahesion technology is obsolete on modern stock. It is not just the linked "Free Track Plans" site that documents these older historic plans, many of these plans are still reproduced in much later Hornby track plan books, so be aware of the limitations and be catious when looking at published plans.

You say your track goes back to the 80's. It could therefore be steel and not N.S. Steel track tends to tarnish and corrode in long term storage. Tarnish and corrosion act like an electrical insulation layer, thus a layout built with such old track is more likely to have significant ongoing running issues. Particularly, if you go down the DCC control route. DCC is particularly sensitive to track condition.

Hi Ben,

Welcome to the forum.

4' x 6' is a small area for OO and generally can restrict which locomotives can run on it.

Many 'detailed' locomotives are stated as 2nd radius minimum, which I find in practice to be tight - they are restricted by their extra detailing and can just negotiate these curves, often coming off, so larger is better.

This area can give you a perfect opportunity to look at industrial settings - smaller shunters, 0-4-0 tank engines, etc., with smaller wagons - there have been many very nice layouts on this theme.

Al.

I think https://freetrackplans.com/index.html is probably your go to site. I have found it useful for my son's round-roundy.

I must admit, per atom's comment, this is an interesting one, I am quite taken with it (exerts self control): https://freetrackplans.com/144-6x4-porthmadog-slate.html

I used this one for the roundy - roundy https://freetrackplans.com/082-6x4-gatwick.html BUT I removed some of the R1's and put in R2s, which pushed the top platform off the board. It's been OK to mix an R1 and R2 on a curve, balanced each side of course, for somewhat less harsh curves and found modern stock copes with a single R1 OK.

We did manage to do a bit more with the goods yard / sidings in the middle with the extra space, but then we wanted a "town" so all good, but shunting areas can become limited.

If you are more "fixed" in the location, this old up and over ran OK with old stock, or you might be inspired to use the centre area with the "Gatwick" solution.

I don't have the plan on this computer, but can dig it out if interested. I think 6x4 though does have limitations but that should be embraced! It is a great room size.

A 4x6 (ish) two level tack plan, no 1st radius (except the curved hidden siding on the right)

Temius station on high level, out and back or continuous running and ability to extend from the right to give end to end running or a dockyard etc.

If you can add 200mm to the length the reverse loop could use a crossover onto the outside main instead of the crossover points at the top

forum_image_61814d7fede14.png.4ed38feb079426da88cd4a0dceb4f98d.png

forum_image_61814d8101229.png.60011f08a530413caf41e376fb1835fb.png