Learning to solder, install dcc and sound with lighting into both DCC ready and analogue trains.

Glen2040

Hello all

I live on the M1 South area of Nottingham and am keen to learn a lot of basic stuff around DCC locomotives from soldering to installing DCC into analogue trains and lighting etc.

In fact I have really struggled to find front and rear lamps for my steam locos is there anyone nearby I can buy them from I am keen to support my local area I am in the NG11 area of Nottingham.

Thanks

Working lamps on steam locos are a bit of a nightmare as the position and number of lamps is used as a way of indicating the nature of the train eg express passenger, slow goods or even a royal train. Making them movable on a 00 model isn't really practical.

At the top of the 'General Discussion' forum is a sticky thread titled 'General Discussion FAQ Index'. Open this thread and follow the link for FAQ3, which documents a 'how to solder' tutorial.

I have tried the working lamps from DCC Concepts and YouChoos. This is a personal opinion, but unless they have improved them, the DCC concepts ones were incredibly small and on lengths of fine wire not much wider than a human hair. The YouChoos ones were much easier to fit being a bit bigger and having easier wire to work with. As for DCC, most modern locos usually explain how to fit the decoder in the instructions.