Hornby Elite connecting to a S88 detection system

Toon-833074

This question has been asked before.

The S88 system communication protocol is not supported by Hornby DCC controllers.

The Elite does support "Expressnet" but this protocol in not compatible with S88 nor Loconet.

I am not aware of ANY loco detection hardware that is compatible by direct connection with the Elite or Hornby controllers in general. If there was, there would be extensive previous forum posts discussing any 'third party product' solutions, as "Can Hornby support Loco Detection?" is a very hot topic on this forum and comes up regularly.

Hornby branded "Loco Detection" hardware (requires RailMaster software and Elite, won't work with TrainController) has been promised by Hornby for over 5 years and is still no nearer being released to the market. Most Hornby users have given up waiting for Hornby to implement 'Loco Detection' technology and have subsequently dumped their Hornby controllers to replace them with controller brands that do have 'Loco Detection' capability (Digitrak comes to mind).

Surely any detection system will be talking to the software package in your case Toon, this is iTrain, not direct to the controller. The software passes program information to the controller, so in theory any controller that communicates with iTrain should react to block detection.

Block detection takes many forms and sensors can be current detection, bar code, IR, reed switches, etc that are active in an isolated section. In most cases there is an intermediate module required that collates the sensor information and passes this data to the PC running iTrain.

Rocrail and JMRI use these methods and are compatible with many brands of block detection modules, so maybe have a read of their user manuals to see what talks to what.

The problem lies in the communications bus used. Elite uses Expressnet, whereas others use Loconet, can-bus, etc.

I would suggest looking up the various manufacturers of block detection systems and ask them if their kit will work with Hornby Elite.

Such manufacturers are Heathcote, Merg, Lenz, and many others.

This discussion on another forum may be of interest https://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=56862

Dear all,

Sorry for my late reply.

Thanks for your advices.

@Chrissaf Yes I consider to buy a 2nd controller.

Do you maybe know a site where I can compare for example the DR5000 and the ESU Ecos 50210?

Do you maybe know that when I use a LocoNet converter = L.Net Converter” article nr. 50097 = to the Hornby Elite, the LocoNet signals can be handled.

I understood (but I am not sure) that the ESU EcoS this probably can handle this.

@96RAF, Thanks for the Link.

Best Regards,

Toon

This is a Hornby forum. To go any further answering your ESU / Digitrak questions is likely to breach the second forum rule regarding active promotion of competing brands. I'm afraid you will have to do your own research elsewhere.

The 50097 convertor allows Loconet capable handsets to connect to an ECOS so the immediate answer is no, but the ECOS has a sniffer capability which may allow the ECOS to connect to an Elite. It may be worth asking the question on the ESU forum or direct to their product support desk.