Decoder fit to R2299

geochoice

Hi

I am new to Model Railways after many years and I have just discovered the benefits of DCC. I also recently acquired a R2299 Great Western HST set and want to fit DCC. Is it a difficult task and is there a pin socket already fitted or do I need

to solder the wires in place? I presume the R8249 will cope with it. I did find a link to fitting a decoder to Eurostar R8249 and suspect it is a similar task, am I right? Thanks. George.

Hi geochoice. If it has a socket (DCC ready) the number would be R2299X - that's what the X means.

Assuming not, take a look at this link on the Hornby site and I think you'll find yours is the same - https://www.hornby.com/hornby-dcc/decoder-installation-guides/r2298a-virgin-hst-decoder-installation/

They

are quite easy to do as long as you know how to solder and have the equipment for it. Otherwise take to a model shop shich supplies this service. And all Hornby locos can be converted.

Fishmanoz said:

Hi geochoice. If it has a socket (DCC ready) the number would be R2299X - that's what the X means.
Assuming not, take a look at this link on the Hornby site and I think you'll find yours is the same - https://www.hornby.com/hornby-dcc/decoder-installation-guides/r2298a-virgin-hst-decoder-installation/
They

are quite easy to do as long as you know how to solder and have the equipment for it. Otherwise take to a model shop shich supplies this service. And all Hornby locos can be converted.

The X means DCC Fitted, not DCC Ready.

The R2299 doesn't appear to have a DCC socket. See service sheet 205C.

It appears to be wired in the same way as that shown in the installation guide.

Hornby's guides need improving. You should use heatshrink

tubing not insualtion tape for joints on wires. It's also much better to use Kapton (polyimide) tape instead of insulation tape for insulating decoders.

Archived