Lack of activity on this forum

Brightstar

Hi gowest,

I see the Shop has stocks of the water and oil again.

There are suppliers of distilled water (not ionised), so this should not be a problem, however if steam oil supplies dries up (pun), we could be in trouble finding an alternative

supply.

If you live within the M25 London ring road, there is a supplier of water offering 10 litres for £12.99and 20 litres for £20.99, with free delivery. For those living elsewhere in the country, there is a £7.50 courier delivery charge. These prices

are plus VAT.

I am thinking about ordering 10 litres and getting it delivered to my sister, who can bring it with her next time she comes to visit. I do not know about the rest of you live steamers, but I seem to get through a lot of water, very quickly.

The first time I heard of live steam I was going somewhere on the tube with my grandparents when my grandfather spotted a catalogue for some model/toy company, which had the then £500 Mallard set. I admit that at the time I thought it cheating to use electricity

and it far to expensive. However, a couple of years later, I saw the Mallard set at Harrods for £350 and this changed my views. After several months of watching amazon (and missing an excelent deal) I finally bought one for this price and got my dad to get

a bottle of the water for me. Luckily I set up the layout on my kitchen tiled floor (not a table) because I tried to run it without coaches and had the inevitable crash. The reason for this is because I didn't know about the motor for the valve and having

never heard the whistle, thought that the motor was a duck-like whistle; I therefore held the lever down as instructed and she came off the track, but luckily no damage was suffered.

The next time I ran her the red light wasn't on when I started and

what wasn't made clear in the instructions is that there is a red light before you go forwards, a red light shown before going backwards, but between that the whistle sounds and the light turns off - it took me a while to understand this. However, I soon learnt

the controlls and dispite only very occasional use (even less now my LS power track is broken) I get great enjoyment out if it, especially now that I understand it. I feel that if the instructions were a little better phrased, people would be able to opperate

with ease from the start.

Hi FinnerZ

It is interesting to read of your first experience with Live Steam. Most modellers cannot believe the problems caused by the instruction included with Live Steam locos, on their first run.

I am glad that once you had worked out

the method of control, enjoyed the experience.

If youy search the internet you will find the a number of model shops still stock the power rail and it is also listed on the Hornby on-line shop. If fact I purchased a spare last week an I may purchase

more while stocks last..

• 1 year later...
Hi I Have managed to get what appears to be a new unused LS Mallard Set, just before Christmas, The Price £350 which I thought wasn't overly priced, as I think Hornby were selling them somewhere near this price when they were still producing them. If the

date on the box and Tender are anything to go by it was manufactured in 2009. After finding a stockist of distilled water,yesterday ( 2K Technologies ) in , also a lot of LS spares, I think today I am going to try and see if it works, I am still waiting on

delivery of my rolling road, so I will see if I can rig something up to test the Loco until the road arrives, if all goes well, when the road comes,I will be able to get down to some driving lessons.

Hi live steamers

The best thing about live steam is you dont know if an engine works well or poor or even at all until the wheels start to turn with electric its go or not go but live steam is just that and when the engine runs on the track with

a load of coaches how fast and how controllable will it be as every engine is different and thats what makes it fun it as near as you will get to the real thing, have fun

[reply]gowest said:

I think i might just have clicked on the wrong bit sorry a PC is not as forgiving as a steam engine but remember for your PC or lap top to work somewhere someone is boiling water to make steam and generate electricity?

I have pulled apart many A4's and A3's to build other engines and the one thing that is clear is the A3 is the best of the lot and the works will fit just about any of the outside cylinder engine with out to much work and Hornby must have made plans to continue

at some time with other models so you never know it is such a great product one day an engine might just roll out. I have seen other steam engines in 3"1/2" gauge in kit form advertised with small production runs so this might be a way to go.

Indeed what a nice layout and video, as a newcomer to Hornby Live Steam, it shows what can be achieved by these little marvels of engineering. I am busy planning a layout at the moment, indoors though, I decided to use the Metcalfe range of buildings,

and have been busy making some of these up, keeping me occupied while I decide what, how and where to put the layout, garage or loft.

[reply]PastaCore said:

Have you thought about making your own buildings by using a PC and a camra you can photograph a station and turn it into a 3D building by sticking the A4 printouts on to cardboard then gluing them to gether most of the buildings

on my youtube layout are done like this, have a look a the Barnstaple station. Even the engine shed has a fan in the roof to take away the steam? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7MIKxNlX6U

Hi what an interesting video, and as I am a Photographer ( retired ) I will certainly have a go at putting the images on to card and see how they look, thanks for that. If you are a member of the OO live Steam club, I have just posted building a layout

after 35 years break.

Thanks again Gio.

Archived