Running XS digital locomotives.

new lad on block

Hi Chris, I think I have asked this question before, searched for the answer but no luck.

I have several of the earlier Hornby XS digital locomotives, can these be run safely on a normal analogue layout.

I have run them briefly in the past,but was warned it would damage the chip.

As you are probably aware, if run on DC, the locos go through several starting procedures automatically.

Thank you in advance for clarification.Regards

I have two Hornby XS locomotives, an 08 (Loksound v3.5) and an A4 (Loksound v4). Both ran on my friend's DC powered layout using a Hornby HM2000 controller which had a PWM output (note that not ALL HM2000s are PWM). Not only do they run on DC, they also produce a basic engine startup and running sound when the HM2000 speed controller is turned up. No spot sounds of course which require DCC function commands to invoke.

The damage comment probably relates to using really old controllers like R965 or HM Duettes and the like. The Chinese made R965 is not a true DC controller and uses a SCR output stage. The Margate made R965 is not SCR. These early HM & SCR controllers have spiky outputs if looked at on a scope.