Does the difference in packaging mean anything?

Spiro-1227013

Hi all, I'm new to the world of Scalextric and have bought a few cars over the last few weeks. Most of them come in the plastic flip top shells, but one is in a cardboard box.

I thought it might have been a change in design with the new ones being the plastic shell, but the car I have in the cardboard box is C4230, which seems to be relatively recent.

The only thing I notice different about the cars next to me is that the one in the cardboard box has stickers, while the one in the plastic shell has artwork painted on.

Also, the Mad Max Interceptor XB Falcon has a grey shell base (instead of white) and the Scalextric logo is white on grey instead of yellow on blue.

Can I presume that these aren't chosen at random and that they mean something? If so, what do they mean?

It is all down to optimizing cost. The cardboard box and sticker are for cars with less detail and less expensive as a whole.

The clear plastic "clam shell" cars are higher detail and more expensive.

Given the volatile situation for international manufacturing and distribution though it can happen that there are mixes and matches just to get products out the door...