Problem with 060 Shunter

geochoice

Hi. Can anyone give me some advice please?

Bought a Hornby 060 shunter DCC Fitted, came from a set and worked ok a first. Not been run for a couple of weeks and now I am building new layout it is not keen to run. It seems to lose contact even on

test track, there is some play between the track and when I move it I seem to e contact and it will run, stop it and it won't start again? Even on a straight test track. Am I missing some adjustments here please? Ideas? Thanks.

geochoice said:

Thanks for that, have cleaned wheels and lubricated loco and seems more consistent now. Cheers

Have given the wheels good cleaning, lubricated it, spoken nicely to it but still it is inconsistent at running,

it seems to lose contact and by wiggling it left and right on track it makes again, it is as if the wheels are too wide as it is quite sloppy on the rials.

Ideas anyone please?

• 2 weeks later...

Well, despite taking the body off the chassis, cleanin the wheels and contacts to the wheels the shunter persists in erratic behaviour. As I said earlier by twisting the chassis it seems to help contactand off it goes. Almost like the wheel width is too

narrow ?? Can anyone help with sugestions please?

poliss said:

Twist which way? Side to side or up and down? Are the contacts touching the wheels properly? Turn it upside dwn and have a very close look. The distance between the wheels should be 14.4mm +/- 0.05mm.

Side to Side,

checked the contacts to inside of the wheels, all seem good, will check wheel dims tomorrow, thanks.

Apart from getting the wheel back-to-backs right, I've found that the chassis of some cheaper 0-4-0 and 0-6-0 locos aren't straight and so some wheels aren't in contact with the rails. Consequently, the slightest instance of bad contact leads to stalls

or rough running at low speed.

tonyang said:

HI.
I have the same problem with the same 0-6-0 shunter. It is obviously a manufacturing fault. I wonder what Hornby have to say about this.

I have just submitted an enquiry to Hornby and will report any findins

here, I am somewhat releived that it is not just my loco at fault. I will defer any more Hornby purchases until this is resolved as confidence is somewhat dented in their products.

• 2 weeks later...

My class 08 was a bag of bones when I recieved it. It had been DCC chipped by a hamfisted shop owner and then given to me as a present. The chip was hard wired and touching the chassis, the wires were in two cases dry jointed. After fixing that it still

played up. Then found that the wheel contacts wre not making contact when the axles moved laterally, stripped down and and reshaped them. After it ran but still stopped at odd times. Then found that the chassis is slightly twisted. After that I lost interest

in it and will at sometime attempt to de twist it. Note this was a Railroad version.

I think it is just the train set 0-4-0s and 0-6-0s that are the problem. My initial Mixed Freight purchase seemed like good value but now I'm not so sure. Apart from a failed decoder which doesn't work in reverse and no replacement in sight after more

than 6 months, both locos run erratically. This hasn't been a problem with large Railroad and detail locos or smaller (0-4-2) ones of higher quality.

Archived