Changing function key function

morairamike

Ok here's the problem. Have a Dapol 121 fitted with a Gaugemaster 21 pin Ruby 95 decoder with the matching stay alive.

My controller is Gaugemaster Prodigy. The function key F1 switches the passenger compartment lights and it latches. F2 switches one of the driver's cabs but it's a momentary action. F3 switches the other driver's cab. It is a latching switch.

Does anyone know how to make F2 latch or change the function to one that does.

@mike

... the GM Prodigy series user manuals are less than helpful about if you can make F2 a toggle function, so it may be a case of remapping the cab light to a toggled key - if the decoder is so capable.

Edit - I believe Flashbang is an authority on the GM Prodigy.

I have a vague recollection of Prodigy ability to change toggle action for specific function buttons has come up before. My recollection was that the button operation was fixed in the firmware and not selectable. But willing to be proved wrong.

Just tried changing CV 33 to 9 and CV 34 to 18. The result was flashing of the hand held display. Changed back to the original value CV 33=1, CV 34=2.

The way it worked with Mark's train sound chip the cab light was direction dependent but went out when motion started and came on when stationary.

Well finally managed to change the Function key action on my Prodigy Advance to control the lights in my Dapol 121 Bubble Car.

Problem was: Gaugemaster DCC95, Ruby series, 6 Function 21 pin decoder, with DCC99, Ruby series PowerPal stay alive.

F1 switched on the front driver's cab light.

F2 switched on the rear driver's cab light, but was momentary action.

F3 switched on the passenger compartment lights.

F0 switched on the head and tail lights the direction is determined by the FWD/REV button.

I looked on the web and found a sheet of data for OPTI series that was helpful but the CV and Function buttons were different to the those on the DCC95.

However the table with what data should be in the CV was helpful and I was able to change CV35 which is F1 from 8 to 12. Now both the front and rear light come ON together and stay ON. But I also wanted to have the cab lights directional, but with the rear cab ON when the 121 was running forward and the front cab ON when the 121 was running backward. That was achieved with CV33 set to 9 and CV34 set to 6.

So now the buttons are:

F1 switches on the front and rear cab lights

F3 switches on the passenger compartment lights.

F0 switches on the head and tail lights and the cab light that is not leading depending upon the direction of travel.

So when in station F1 can be used to light both ends. F1 OFF as train leaves so the driver is in a darkened cab to prevent dazzle.

John your original suggestion helped by pointing me in the right durection, but CV34 at 18 gave a weird result so I had to do a reset.