Which LNER A4s had double chimneys.

ColinB

Does anyone know which A4s in Garter Blue with valances had twin chimneys or funnels. I have managed to build a couple of Railroad A4 mallards from bits and have done a few improvements like pickups in the tender and a 5 pole motor, plus a few cosmetic changes (glazed windows, real coal in tender). I already have a decent A4 mallard, so I thought about getting these two renamed. Now I know Mallard had a double chimney, so did Peregrine, but what others did? Reading the data on the web most of them went to a double chimney eventually, but it seems this was after BR took them over.

Quote from A4 Wiki . . .

A further design improvement was fitting a Kylchap double-chimney, first on 4468 Mallard in March 1938. The double-chimney improved the capability of the locomotives further, and the last three locomotives of the class (4901 Capercaillie, 4902 Seagull and 4903 Peregrine) were fitted with the Kylchap exhaust from new and the rest of the class acquired it in the late 1950s.

I know that these may not be LNER or A4 but just out of interest - just looking at my collection of Locos - these are the ones which had twin chimneys or funnels...

BR Green 4-6-0 Royal Scot No. 46100 7P

BR Green 4-6-2 Duke of Gloucester No. 71000 7P

BR Green 4-6-2 Tornado No.60163

LNER Green 2-8-2 Cock O' The North No. 2001

BR Green 2-10-0 Evening Star No. 92220

LMS Brown 4-6-2 Coronation

& of course (not forgetting) as you know - The Mallard!!!

Fun Fact :- Looking at her sister - Sir Nigel Gresley - looks like there is room for another chimney, as b/c both Locos are a similar design - I wonder if they ever thought about 'double chimney' the 'Sir Nigel'??? 🤔🚂🚂🚂