Dimming lights using CVs.

Potrail2378

Hi. As per the title, I would like to know if I am able to dim the headlights on my loco's by altering any CV numbers. I usually install 3vDC LEDs with a 1Kohm resistor in series for each LED.

The lights look great on the layout, but are far too bright when being photographed or videoed.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Dim the LEDs by increasing the value of the resistors. The final value will need to be arrived at through experimentation. Start with a 4.7K resistor value and go up in approx 1K steps to an expected maximum of 10K.

At a guess, I would anticipate a value around 6.8K will give a sufficiently dimmed effect.

As Rob says, very few brands of decoder give the ability to dim LEDs through CV adjustment.

Chris’s and Rob’s solutions are (semi) permanent but the OP is looking for a temporary one during photography.

Given they are running lights, keeping them synched to direction would be a problem, but what’s the practicality of connecting them to a second CV including a higher value resistor, just for the photography? Turn off Running lights, turn on photo dim.

Hi, and thanks for the answers so far. One particular loco is a Hornby Yeoman class 59 Kenneth J Painter which has a sound decoder fitted. I have put a headlight kit in, which I bought off eBay, but I also installed a headlight below the windscreen which is a bit too bright for the camera.