Points Sticking with Smaller Locos

Stephen in Kerry

Now that my DCC track (all Hornby set track) is fully laid down, bus wired, painted and ready for ballasting next week, I'm becoming more than a little frustrated with Hornby points. No matter what I try, some locos will always stick on some points below a certain speed - often just less than 50% on the Select controller. I've tried filing down the plastic frog and other parts of the point; and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

I just wondered if anyone knew if there is a standard place on the points that typically snags smaller locos, such as my terrier, in the photo? I'm still not fully 'track literate', so would appreciate you spelling out exactly what to do and where to do it.

Thanks for any helpforum_image_61ab91ef92f53.thumb.png.b7e739b53e46fd83e24491276fcd6c40.pngforum_image_61ab91f10fdd4.thumb.png.45d3e77c35b517f747df77b672ffac04.png

The problem can be caused by several things.

First the points have to be flat or when one wheel is on the plastic frog the other can lift off and there is no power to the loco.

The wheel spacing on small locos can cause break in continuity.

There is dirt on the wheels the pickups rub on the rear so they can get fluff on them.

The wheels move sideways and when they do the pickups loose contact with wheel.

Possible cures.

Change to electro frog points, I did never looked back.

Fit stay alive capacitors to the locos so that they run on at the bad spots.

Couple a wagon to the loco with pickups on it to supplement the locos pickups.

I agree with making sure the points aredead flat using an extra track pin in the middle (drill a new hole in the sleepr).

I have a Bachmann Jinty that was a pest over points, but after viewing the loco from underneath with a test point on a sheet of glass I could see the moulded representations of the springs for the drivers was lifting the wheels over the frog. A quick attack of these moulded springs with a file provided clearance. I don’t know if your pesky locos have such springs moulded to the chassis but worth a look

To be fair the only real way to stop any loco stopping on points is to really fit electrofrog points. Generally with modern locos with a tender where the loco has pickups in the loco and tender, it isn't such an issue with normal points. Mind you electrofrog points bring a different set of issues mainly to do with the electrical wiring and possible issues with the loco when it transverses the frog area (easily fixed electrically, but you need to know about it). The other thing that can happen is with the heat the point distorts because of the mix of plastic and metal, and raises the frog area above the rails. I don't know if anyone has tried that conductive paint you used to able to get for fixing printed circuit boards.

@morairamike @96RAF @ColinB Thanks for all your help with this, guys. I'm not being notified of replies, so apologies for the short delay in coming back to you.

I'm going to tackle wheel cleaning and making sure that the points are dead flat, in the first instance. I will also look to see if there might be anything lifting the wheels.

I have no real clue about changing to electro-frog points; where I get them, how they fit, what technical issues that might throw up and the cost involved (there are 18 sets of points on my layout). So, that will have to be a longer-term consideration, while my knowledge of them evolves.

Thanks again for the assistance.

No you don't get replies on this one, sadly I had issues with the other one. Yes, good idea and stick with what you have got at the moment. If you do want to change just try one for a start. As to where to get them, well virtually any train model shop. I am assuming you have got Hornby points which could be an issue, as the Electrofrog ones have totally different architecture.