How to get more tyre grip?

Andrew-1232744

Hi there,

I've tried using a fine 120 grit sandpaper on the rear tyres of two cars I've had for about 15 years but my cars still slide around the track and generally squirm and struggle for grip even when on straights. Please may you recommend some replacement tyres if that's what's needed?

The cars are C2467 (Police Vectra) and C2118 (Subaru Impreza).

Also, do you know where I could source a replacement headlight for the Subaru?

I've spoken to a local hobby shop who recommended getting "Classic GT Tyres" but I can't find anything matching that description on any websites including eBay.

Many thanks!

https://i.redd.it/n418pm9uaq481.jpg

Based on the photo those are really old tires and have likely become hard and should be replaced (you only need to replace the rear ones, you actually don't want the front ones gripping).

There are lots of aftermarket makers of replacement tires. I would search for the cars you have not such a generic term such as "classic GT".

You cuold try softening them up again by soaking them in some sort of oil like 3-in-1 or sewing machine oil. Sometimes that causes them to swell too much though.

"serious" racers actually start with 150 or 200 and go all the way down to 2000 grit (seriously) for serious grip on the rear. I am serious.

Spare parts in general are not readily available. It is a pain I know. Your best bet is a swap meet and/or online acutions of used cars.

Good luck!