Testing a DCC fitted Hornby CR 040 on Analogue system

mike-1213241

Hi everyone - I have a traditional non-dcc layout. I acquired as part of a job lot a Hornby DCC fitted CR 040T I would like to find out if it is a runner. Nothing happens on my track and I am sort of guessing that it is not compatible with analogue. Suggestions welcome as to if and how I can check it on my system with no dcc controls or setup. Apologies if this is a silly question but I am a pre-dcc ancient person! thanks Mike.

To run on DC a DCC fitted loco needs to have DC running enabled (in CV29). The default nowadays seems to be to have this disabled on decoders so creating a problem for DC users.

To see if it is or is not enabled simply put a 9V battery terminals across the loco wheels when held in your hand. Do not do this with the loco on track and a controller connected.

If the decoder is disabled you can simply remove the decoder if plugged in and insert a blanking plate. If hard wired in then some soldering will be required to remove the decoder connections and connect the wheel pick-ups direct to the motor brushes. Pull the loco service sheet to get an idea of pickups and motor brushes location.

When decoders are brand new, they are 99% of the time configured at the factory to run on Analogue DC. However, many DCC users disable "DC Operation" by amending the value of DCC CV29 on the decoder.

Without any access to a DCC controller that is able to read and write CVs, then there is no easy obvious way to identify whether this CV29 edit has taken place by the previous owner. Given that your loco is not running on your Analogue track, then either this CV29 edit has been performed by a previous owner or the loco has a fault.

Your only option is to open the loco to directly access the motor. Ideally you need to disconnect the decoder from the motor. If the loco has a DCC socket, then just unplug the decoder from it. If the decoder is hard-wired into the loco, disconnect either the decoder orange or grey wire from the motor. Now with the motor electrically isolated you can connect the track wires from your Analogue controller directly across the motor to test it. If the motor runs, then this is an indicator that the decoder has had CV29 amended to disable "DC Operation".

If the motor doesn't run in this test, then something is wrong with the motor and needs further investigation.

If the motor runs, then the decoder will either need to have CV29 checked and amended by somebody with a suitable controller or just removed altogether. If you don't want to keep the decoder or haven't got any access to a DCC Decoder 'blanking plate' if a socket is fitted, cut through the wires that terminate on the decoder. Connect and insulate the joint made between the orange and red wire and a second joint between the grey and black wires. Insulate or remove any other wires. Only the colours stated above are used to connect the motor to the wheel pickups.

EDIT: Rob posted his reply whilst I was typing mine.

thanks to all for help. am trying to post a comment with photo - not sure am succeeding but will try again. I tried the 9v battery across the wheels with no result. need to pluck up courage to go any further! not sure if the photo helps? thanks to all responders - appreciate your involvement. mike

forum_image_61ba28f8ee5fc.thumb.png.7ed1051fbadc4aaae465d370acc71088.png

Mike, All newbies seem to struggle with interacting with this custom Hornby forum software.

Your duplicate photo replies have been removed. As have your attempts to reply using the "blue button" where you did not add any new text.

Just for your information as a forum newbie.

Images are held back for moderator approval and will not appear straight away, if you try to repost an image multiple times because you think it is not working they are ALL submitted and held in an approval queue, which then requires a moderator to filter out the duplicates. Just have a bit of patience.

Please also note that the "blue button with white arrow" is NOT a "Reply to this post" button. To reply, just scroll to the bottom of the page and write your reply in the "Reply Text Box" and click the green "Post Reply" button.

No problem Mike, as I said it is a Hornby trap that all forum newbies fall into. Hornby's fault for not using industry standard 'off the shelf' software that everybody is used to.

In the 'Forum & Website feedback' forum at the bottom of the forum home page is a "Tips for using this forum" sticky thread. This sticky thread gives a run through various custom aspects of using this Hornby forum.